How Much Emphasis Is Put On Conditioning?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
During your typical class, how much time is spent on warmups/conditioning? I've seen some people say that time is better spent on getting to the hands on material, so its up to the student to arrive a few minutes early, warmup, pushup, situps, etc. to that the class can begin without cutting into the learning time. Ive seen some where 10-15 minutes is dedicated towards a warmup and then the main learning part begins.

I've attended classes in which both methods have been used. My personal preference is to warmup on your own, focusing on strength/conditioning on your own as well, and get right to the learning/training portion. Some drills that I've done during a grappling class have certainly provided me with an excellent warmup, great cardio and at the same time, I'm getting in training time.:)

What does your school do and what do you like best?

Mike

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Conditioning should be the very first thing a student learns. The techniques are useless unless your body is capable of using them realisticly. Basic conditioning also enhances what a person already has by providing them with a harder body and more endurance.
I have seen beginning students who have been training only 6 months, beat high ranking people only because they could not take a kick to the shins, or because there body was just not conditioned properly to block a full force attack. You can have a perfect high block, but if your bones are not conditioned, a simple hard hammer fist will temporarily put your arm out of the fight, or possibly even break it.
Also, if you cant fight full force for more than a minnute wthout loosing your breath, your lower skilled opponent will beat you just because he can punch for a longer time than you, if you are not able to end the fight quickly.
So in my opinion, conditioning must come first and foremost. Bang those three stars, smack them shins, and punch punch punch until you cant punch no more to build up your fighting endurance.
A side note, only running on the track will not increase your fighting endurance. You must mimic fighting during your endurance training. There are different types of endurance, and if you want fighting endurance, you must mimic fighting the best you can while training endurance. One of my favorites is very simple....just throw punch combinations on the bag full speed and power until you cant move, then repeat the process with kicks. There are many other ways, but that is one simple way to get started.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our TKD class we spend 20-30 minutes out of our hour and a half class on strength/conditioning exercises. However, many of these conditioning exercises have obvious TKD related crossover value. For example, we do a lot of quick kicking drills which has dual benefit: it builds conditioning and you're kicking at the same time.

We do the typical pushups, situps, etc but these don't take up much time, we seem to focus on the kick and punch related "warm-up."

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Condition should have a role in any M/A training. It like any new training should have a step program increaseing up to a higher level as the student gets in better shape. This not only allows the student to be able to better perform what they will be learning. it will also keep them healthyer, and more ready for the stress in live resistive performance when the training starts to kicked into a higher gear. And then your less likely to gas out after a fast workout or hard spar or fight training

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for some clarification on my post. My appologies if I gave the impression that I don't feel that conditioning is not important. That is not the case, as it is very important. I do feel that beginning students should be taught stretching, conditioning methods, etc. As I said, I've attended classes/schools where a set amount of time is dedicated towards warmups and stretching. I've also been at some where we arrive early, warmup on our own and get into the class. I can't recall, when I was attending my BJJ classes on a regular basis, the class doing situps, pushups, etc. This was all done prior to the start of class, on our own. The workout/training sessions, provided us with not only learning, but also some intense cardio. Running thru forms as well as doing technique lines in my Kenpo class in addition to the strikes and kicks, have also provided the best of both.

I do feel that students should not rely just on the class as the source of a workout, but instead, be able to stretch and do strength building exercises on their own at home.

Mike

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
During your typical class, how much time is spent on warmups/conditioning? I've seen some people say that time is better spent on getting to the hands on material, so its up to the student to arrive a few minutes early, warmup, pushup, situps, etc. to that the class can begin without cutting into the learning time. Ive seen some where 10-15 minutes is dedicated towards a warmup and then the main learning part begins.

I've attended classes in which both methods have been used. My personal preference is to warmup on your own, focusing on strength/conditioning on your own as well, and get right to the learning/training portion. Some drills that I've done during a grappling class have certainly provided me with an excellent warmup, great cardio and at the same time, I'm getting in training time.:)

What does your school do and what do you like best?

Mike
i have 10-15 min's
I do not think it's enough
i've had a 20 min's before class and a 10 min's after class and that had a major positive impact on my flexibility, fitness, and edurance

trav101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Conditioning in my Krav class takes up a good 10 minutes out of every hour class. I wouldn't have it any other way though, as fitness is another reason I started taking classes in the first place. I do agree that performing additional conditioning/stretching before class is beneficial. If I stopped working out on my own, my progress would be retarded I suspect.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do 10-20 minutes each class of warm-ups and conditioning. Sometimes they incorporate class material...such as breaking in to groups, spriting across the mat, doing a technique in the air, then sprinting back.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you first began it is almost the number one thing you should be doing along with the basics, as time goes by more and more is put on techniques and less and less on actual conditioning, that is when yourself is in control of it.
Terry