How much do you charge?

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you school owners/instructors, how much do you charge? Do you have a contract requirement? How much a month do you charge? Do you have testing fees? If so, how much and why? Thinking of opening a school and looking for a little info. Thank you.

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm not the school owner but I'm sort of the office manager so here's the info on our school.

Sensei charges $50/month for adults and $35 for kids under 12. There are no testing fees you just have to pay $5 for your new belt.

There are also no contracts but the school is good enough to retain about 75% of the students who start with us for at least a year (I think that's a pretty good percentage). Most of our loss is due to children who decide they want to try another activity.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First person fifty u.s. dollars a month they can come as ofton as they like Monday - Saturday, second person in the same family forty,third person thirty five and more than three a flat 125.00 a month unlimited times of classes.

P

Peter Steeves

I'm in West Los Angeles and rent for my location keeps it a challenge to offer low prices like I've seen posted here so far. Then again, with Beverly Hills and Bel Air being a short drive down the road, I suppose it's not a surprise.
We have different programs for No Contract, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year. As you'd imagine, it's much cheaper to train (on a monthly basis) for a year than with no commitment at all.

Make sure you can cover costs before you commit to a lease, and start now to consider how you'll advertise. Also, look into NAPMA or MAIA or both for ideas, ads, etc. They're very helpful groups when you're starting out.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our rates are complicated: Minnesota
$49 unlimited 1 yr. contract, goes up in increments to $75/mo-3mo.contract

$40 2x week 1 yr. contract, goes up to $55/mo-. 3 mo.

$30. 1x week 1 yr., up to $45./mo.- 3 mo.

Family Rates
$60 2x week/2 members/1 yr. contract
$80 2x/3 members/1 yr.
$99 2x/4 members/1 yr. **

$80.mo/unlimited/2 members/1 yr.
$99 mo./unlimited/unlimited member-family/1 yr.

Everything is contract except for the black belts who all work for the master instructor-actually mandatory.

**don't understand why he has this, maybe to show its not cut in rate!

This is our schools, not my call.. TW

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have No contracts.. It's $15.00 a week which works out to around $65.00 a month.. and when we tell new students the 15 a week.. they say.. oh that's not bad.. compared to balking at the 65 a month.

Thats Tues- Friday classes

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses. Keep em coming. Tess, I liked that idea about $15.00 a week rather than $65.00. Do any of you guys offer private lessons? If so, how much? Thanks

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
We have No contracts.. It's $15.00 a week which works out to around $65.00 a month.. and when we tell new students the 15 a week.. they say.. oh that's not bad.. compared to balking at the 65 a month.

Thats Tues- Friday classes
Cool I Like that.

Previously, I was using 12 month training agreements ,Collection Company via direct debit@ $66.oo per month, whiCH was great , it elevated the hassel of collecting payments,as well as many other associated benifits from a business
piont of veiw ,yet it distanced the relationship with both students / parents, and my self ,additionally for some reason this year I found it difficult to enroll new students with this type of payment arrangement, so in turn I now use a cash system, $33 Payable in two installments over the coures of the month. Which has lead to a closer relationships with parents , with an increase in retail sales ie, sparring grear, patches ect.and many new enrolments that have been reconmended by the student body

So all good,

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i pay 25 a month but im on the college student rate ...normaly its 30 and they do some family discounts like 30 the first person and 10 for each person extra

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
I pay about 10 dollars a month. And once a week the class. People who are into karate the teacher lets them come 4 times a week . So 12 classes for 10 bucks. Ha i got to all four classes. Go to diffrenet teachers you learn diffrently. My teacher really funny so that why i didn't quit in the past 5 years because i was being a lazy person. Now i am active.Ya we also have a tournament coming up and i can't wait. The promotion fee is about 30 dollars for each belt. Gi is about 56 dollars or lower depends on size.
icon7.gif

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pay for 1 credit/semester for taekwondo and judo each...I think that comes to about 140 bucks for about 4 - 4 1/2 months. Jujutsu I have beent training in for over two years and have yet to pay a dime. Although I do help out my instructor during his self defense class at the university.

Latest Discussions