How many Whip enthusiests are out there!?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was a teen there was a small horse farm across the street. I was good friends with the kids. Sometimes we would mess around with the whips. It is pretty difficult to use. I believe it was a 12' whip. It sounds like a pistol firing.

It was fun... I don't have a place to mess around with one. If I did, I would buy one.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lhommedieu said:
I've recently ordered an 8' long 12 Plait whip from the Australian Stock Saddle Company. Their website says that it takes from 1-8 weeks for the product to arrive (I'm currently on week 4). I'll send it a review once I've received the whip.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Pricey.... let us know how a whip like those feel! :)

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
No problem. I figured that if I had to own just one whip...

According to Tom Meadows in The Filipino Fighting Whip the whip used by Momoy Canete was a very long rope whip, and although I've made some inroads towards acquiring this kind of whip, I haven't been able to get one yet. I thought that in the meantime it might be better to learn on a leather bullwhip first, since the learning curve isn't as steep.

I'm going to use Anthony DeLongis' "Mastering the Bullwhip" two DVD set as a template for learning how to use the bullwhip. Mr. DeLongis seems like a very nice guy: he answered my email query about learning the bullwhip in great detail, and in particular recommended the whip maker referenced above.

I've no experience with the whip, so this is going to be a "from the ground up" project. Maybe I'll video the first pathetic steps as well as the later ones, so people can see the learning process.

Best,

Steve Lamade

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
There's even a sport called whipboxing now.

That just looks strange... I did not look at -everything- but it looked like they could have done the same job w/out someone in front of them. Just have a target and count the number of strikes. Even draw a figure of a man...

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
For short whips:

Jose Capitulo is a Pananandata practitioner who makes an excellent version of a thin, tapered, braided rope latigo that is used by calesa (horse buggy) drivers in the Philippines. Jose carefully researched the method by which they are made and makes an authentic, high-quality version of these artifacts. Whereas the traditional latigo is a braided rope with several knots at the end that is dipped in glue or lacquer to make it somewhat stiff (and is brushed lightly over the horse to make it go faster), some of Jose's whips have small pieces of glass embedded in the knots to make it an extremely dangerous martial arts weapon. Jose also uses a kind of marine epoxy to coat the rope instead of a lacquer because it makes his latigos more capable of standing up to martial arts practice. The use of a popper at the end of the whip is advisable because it will keep the knotted end from fraying with repeated use. (Interestingly, one such popper can be made from a 10" or so piece of Christmas ribbon braided into the end of the whip.) The butt end of the rope is embedded in a short piece of rattan, over which Jose has braided twine in a cross-hatched design. The manufacture of these whips is a dying art and Jose is to be commended for turning out such an excellent product. Contact information: NEPHALIM1@netscape. net

(From my website).

Best

Steve

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. DeLongis is an exellent teacher for us MAist as he speaks our language. I use his method for my whip work. I just picked up six and a half foot nylon stock whip from a saddlery store in Three Forks. (If your a bullwhip man, hanging around real cowboys will do this to you) This whip is faster then snot and smooth as butter. I'm going to get the 7.5ft next time I go up. Stock whips are a lot of fun, different, but when it comes to the noise making point and flash, stock whips trump bull whips. But for the rest of it? We'll see!
Support your local whipster!

Master Panto

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi to all,
It's nice to hear lots of individuals who give value to the art of whip. well its quite hard in the start in learning the whips but when you gave much time in doing rehearsals for it theres no reason that you could not perform perfectly..Good luck to all whip entusiast!!

Master Panto

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. DeLongis is an exellent teacher for us MAist as he speaks our language. I use his method for my whip work.

Indeed. For any interested in learning the whip "from the inside out" I recommend Mr. DeLongis two-DVD set on the bullwhip.

It's nice to hear lots of individuals who give value to the art of whip. well its quite hard in the start in learning the whips but when you gave much time in doing rehearsals for it theres no reason that you could not perform perfectly..Good luck to all whip entusiast!

Master Panto Flores is Filemon “Momoy” Canete’s grandson and an excellent practitioner of both San Miguel Eskrima and Filmocan Eskrima:

www.filmocan.com

Once again this summer I hope to give it a try!

My project, as well.

Best,

Steve Lamade

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a picture of my baby . . .

http://www.mission2america.org/whip.jpg

I braided her a couple of years ago -- it took me about 35 hours.

12' 16 plait, 9 layer cowhide, with a 3' fall. Overall reach - 13-14ft at the crack.

Very accurate, with incredible life. You can imagine, though, with 16 plaits I don't use it very often. But it's always fun to to put a couple of empty soda cans on a sawhorse and bend them in half for my friends.

I tell you, how many layers in a whip seems to make all the difference in the world.

My wife likes to hang it on the coat tree underneath my Stetson "Temple" Fedora, next to my brown leather jacket. It gets people's attention when they see it there like a movie prop :)

(BTW I just put the picture on the site as a free place for me to post -- it has noting to do with the rest of mission2america.org!)

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha! I just found out that I get to meet Mr. DeLongis is a couple of weeks. I'll be doing some "extra" work for a swordfighting scene that he's involved with.

Also, apparently he's doing a workshop in Portland, OR in august on "stage combat" including whip work.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm working on a quirt and a blacksnake. Does anyone have advice on good leather for the outside lacing? Is 1/4" latigo or 1/4" rawhide alright? Also, is there much of a difference between the rigid-handled whips and the shot-loaded flexible-handled ones?

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends more on the core you are using, and the skill of the braid.

I know that kangaroo hide is the ideal, *I think* because it stretches less than the cowhide, but if your core is made right, it won't stretch at all.

I've never handled a flexible-handled whip, but I use the rigid handle to my advantage in my particular form. I'm sure you could crack it just as well, though, it would just have to be flicked a little differently.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:partyon:

How many of you guys like to play with whips? What is it you like about them?

What kind do you have?

Let's have an educated discussion about the western whip.

I included neat info on the western whip, Sjambok, and other soft weapons this weeks E-zine on my site below...check it out and lets talk whips!

:whip: :whip1: :ultracool

Does this include leather bustiers and thigh high boots? :)

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got this today:

www.northshoreac.com/whip.jpg

It's 8' long (11 feet with the fall and popper), black and tan 12 plait kangaroo leather, with the "deLongis handle." Once we start drying out from the Nor'easter we had here last night I'll start playing with it.

This is their "Top Quality Roo Bull Whip." It's made by Colin Dangaard at the Australian Stock Saddle Company in Malibu, California. Generally it's black or brown but this one comes in a nice black/tan combination; it kind of looks like a snake's body, come to think of it.

Best,

Steve Lamade

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The point of the blacksnake whip being that it can be constructed to be a really nasty "life preserver" if you shot load the handle correctly.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just spent this weekend doing sword choreography with Anthony DeLongis. He is a great guy, and a lot of fun to work with. I really enjoyed meeting him in person.

He'll be doing a seminar in Portland, OR on June 8, 9, and 10, dealing with stage combat with swords, knives, sticks, and whips. PM me if you want the juicy details, and I'll send them to you when I know more.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just spent this weekend doing sword choreography with Anthony DeLongis. He is a great guy, and a lot of fun to work with. I really enjoyed meeting him in person.

He'll be doing a seminar in Portland, OR on June 8, 9, and 10, dealing with stage combat with swords, knives, sticks, and whips. PM me if you want the juicy details, and I'll send them to you when I know more.

Cool. Sounds like fun. Interestingly enough, one of his first whip instructors was Jon de Jong, my Silat teacher's uncle.

Latest Discussions