How many Whip enthusiests are out there!?

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
Four plait to eight plait. If you break it I'll buy you a new one. I've not managed to do it to mine yet. I've had it since 2000, and you're typing to a man with a Henry Jones Jr. complex. See my post. It's a 'working' whip.

Good enough for me. Thanks again for the input sir!! :ultracool

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That whip boxing would be interesting to see in a real life setting, I can imagine a firm crack (to quote the website "In that area between the forhead and bridge of the nose) would at the very least distract someone.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have a 12' bullwhip from mexico that i recieved from grandparents when i was "littlenick"...never did anything serious with it...maybe i'll have to pick it back up

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Silat Student said:
That whip boxing would be interesting to see in a real life setting, I can imagine a firm crack (to quote the website "In that area between the forhead and bridge of the nose) would at the very least distract someone.

A distraction!?!? lol... a whip in trained hands will cut someone to pieces pretty good...I'd say that'd be quite a distraction! :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still have a one inch scar on my chest from attempting to crack one while slightly intoxicated.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hey! my pain and anguish inspired someone!!!!!!

I am glad to help Miss FM
icon10.gif
:) As an update: I now have my beautiful white 12-foot whip, and am working on it. It's definetly not as easy as the 6' whip my artist friend loaned me to start working with. I can get the 6' and the 12' going with redondo/redonda strikes, but I'm having trouble cracking them at will wherever I want. I've got to work on that.

So far I haven't hurt myself too badly (and I wear the goggles all the time) - just a couple of stripes on my calves and one on the arm, which healed up pretty well. I haven't gotten the whip(s) going so hard and fast that I cut myself too badly at all.

Hopefully I'll be able to report better sucess with them soon!

:asian:

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
:) As an update: I now have my beautiful white 12-foot whip, and am working on it. It's definetly not as easy as the 6' whip my artist friend loaned me to start working with. I can get the 6' and the 12' going with redondo/redonda strikes, but I'm having trouble cracking them at will wherever I want. I've got to work on that.

So far I haven't hurt myself too badly (and I wear the goggles all the time) - just a couple of stripes on my calves and one on the arm, which healed up pretty well. I haven't gotten the whip(s) going so hard and fast that I cut myself too badly at all.

Hopefully I'll be able to report better sucess with them soon!

:asian:

Awesome Fiesty! Glad to here about your progress. I would like to ask you something, then make a suggestion. Question: What have you been using for instruction? Teacher, coach, or video, or just trial and error? Trial and error is good for everyone, and I feel you can get a feel for your tool that way, but at some point instruction is also good. With the whip, I find that you can learn a lot from video tapes. Now to my suggestion...I would get a video if your not already seeking instruction. My recommendation is Jim keatings whip tape...he covers the combative use of the whip and not just the mechanics, and that 1st tape really has a lot of workable material. If your not sure where to find his stuff, click on my site and go to my E-zine...I have his site linked up there.

Cool...keep us updated. I am not online as much as I used to be, but I'll be watching and reading! :)

Yours,

Paul

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Tulisan, thanks for the advice, and the curiosity! :) The gentleman who made the whip - and I'm told by people who know weapons far better than I do that it's very well-made - has worked on the whip himself, and gave me some pointers, and I watched him for a while. I also watched some videoclips on a bullwhip page online - I'll have to find the link - I think I found it linked off of the whipboxing site, actually.

I've also been getting some advice from one of my Kali instructors, who has watched me practice with both of the whips (one at a time, ha ha ha!). He was the one who recommended that I train my non-dominant hand first. It's funny - the 6' whip is a lot easier to use with my right (dom.) hand, but the 12' whip sometimes is easier with my left - perhaps because I put more of my body into it.

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have always loved the whip! I started practicing after reading an old comic with Daredevil vs Bullwhip, and I was hooked ever since.

I have had the opportunity to train in the Delongis style as well as just smacking targets on my own. In 2000 I learned the Sayoc Whip material, which has many things I had never seen or even tried before. If you have the opportunity, try it out with a certified Sayoc whip instructor to see what I mean.

I have to try that pasta trick!!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AUGH! I was working on the new 12' whip last night, and after I relaxed and got it going, I was getting some good cracks, right and left handed, I was pleased - and then the popper snapped off, and a length of leather strip came off as well! I had wanted to keep working, but instead I searched around the studio for pieces of leather that went flying. :( I'll have to wait for a whip repair. Back to the 6'.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happy to report 12' repaired last night. Can finally crack it pretty well - more so with left hand. Now for the accuracy.

Question: I can't practice in my backyard (small trees around, and new neighbors with young kids running about), and unless the studio is empty, whirling a 12-footer around won't work.

Where do you all practice? Is something like a public park OK, or do people run away?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Huh! How do you keep the 2 10' whips organized in mid-air, so to speak?

I think I'll have to look for a quiet place on campus, maybe behind my lab.... the new neighbors (and the old neighbors who live below me) have their livingrooms that open into the backyard - it might just be too weird. (being watched, for me, and having someone whipping trees, for them.)

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To Feisty:
Basicaly you can do two things. Either mirro each whip to itself, or overlap them. Sinwallis work good for that, as to alternating cracks.

To All:
Check the latest catalog from Western Stage Props. They have 2 VEERY nice cowhide whips that are very nice, one with the Indy handle, the other with a longer austrailan handle. The long handeled on also comes in red/black, white, black and white/black!

Support your local whipster!
Keep Crackin'

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
The whip is an integral weapon in Doce Pares San Miguel Escrima. The art is really seeing growth right now and most of us "newbie" students are just starting to explore the whip. The whip work comes from the same fundamental mechanics that drive our stick, knife, empty hand etc.

BTW, i have tested the whips at www.cowwhips.com and they are quite nice...I REALLY like the 6 foot, lead shot filled snake whips.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KyleShort said:
The whip is an integral weapon in Doce Pares San Miguel Escrima. The art is really seeing growth right now and most of us "newbie" students are just starting to explore the whip. The whip work comes from the same fundamental mechanics that drive our stick, knife, empty hand etc.

BTW, i have tested the whips at www.cowwhips.com and they are quite nice...I REALLY like the 6 foot, lead shot filled snake whips.

Cool...thanks Kyle for the link and recommendation!

Paul

Latest Discussions