How many weapons have you broken?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I learned once, in an actual fight, that using oak for double sticks, is a bad idea..busted it across on guys face, but still had two guys to contend with. Wound up getting stabbed, but survived.

Used Rattan after that.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I learned once, in an actual fight, that using oak for double sticks, is a bad idea..busted it across on guys face, but still had two guys to contend with. Wound up getting stabbed, but survived.

Used Rattan after that.
Bet you were using turned oak dowels instead of a proper stick. Am I right?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bet you were using turned oak dowels instead of a proper stick. Am I right?
How is a dowel made, and by “stick” are you referring to an actual branch from a tree?

What makes one more durable than the other?

I’ve made staffs and tomahawk handles by shaping down on a belt grinder from a square strip cut from a hickory plank. Would you consider that a dowel, and would a dowel made from hickory be tougher than a dowel made from oak?

The hickory axe handles I see in the hardware store looks to me like they are made from a plank, and not from a branch cut from a tree. Am I mistaken?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is a dowel made, and by “stick” are you referring to an actual branch from a tree?

What makes one more durable than the other?

I’ve made staffs and tomahawk handles by shaping down on a belt grinder from a square strip cut from a hickory plank. Would you consider that a dowel, and would a dowel made from hickory be tougher than a dowel made from oak?

The hickory axe handles I see in the hardware store looks to me like they are made from a plank, and not from a branch cut from a tree. Am I mistaken?
Most turned dowels from from the box stores are just a hunk of wood turned down on a wood lathe with no interest in grain run-out. They cross-grain all the time. They are often made from wood which would never have been selected for using in a bashing stick because of flaws in the wood, flaws in the grain, loose grain structure, or other problems. Pieces of wood meant to be beaten about are often shaped, as opposed to turned using planers and hand knives, &tc. You can often find an appropriate stick among the hardwood dowels, but it's hit or miss (more often "miss").

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most turned dowels from from the box stores are just a hunk of wood turned down on a wood lathe with no interest in grain run-out. They cross-grain all the time. They are often made from wood which would never have been selected for using in a bashing stick because of flaws in the wood, flaws in the grain, loose grain structure, or other problems. Pieces of wood meant to be beaten about are often shaped, as opposed to turned using planers and hand knives, &tc. You can often find an appropriate stick among the hardwood dowels, but it's hit or miss (more often "miss").

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thanks, that is informative.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never broken any of my weapons ,but two weeks ago, a fellow classmate broke a rokushakubo. It broke about 8 inches on one end.