How many types of different bowing are there in martial arts

Reaction score
I only know 3. Which are the one where you bend 45 degrees it's used in karate, BJJ, etc then there's the one where you have an open palm and a fist together used also by many styles. then there is the Wai bow where you have both palms together. are there more bows in other martial arts besides those ?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, PD. :)

I've seen a lot of different bows over the years. Some completely different, and some with just small differences. All good, though. A show of respect, among other things.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is because you are doing it wrong.
quite possibly , but i have no concern about it, I'm not that enamoured with it to be honest, its another silly thing that has nothing at all to do with fighting, I'm more of a fist touch sort of guy

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I only know 3. Which are the one where you bend 45 degrees it's used in karate, BJJ, etc then there's the one where you have an open palm and a fist together used also by many styles. then there is the Wai bow where you have both palms together. are there more bows in other martial arts besides those ?
Depending on the situation there are numerous variations of the Bow, the Palm & Fist salute, and the Wai.
Standing Bow, Kneeling Bow, hand placement, & where the eyes are to be looking. In the Palm & Fist salute, Left palm-Right Fist or the opposite. Stiff open hand or palm cupping the fist. Again where are the eyes to be looking. In the Wai how high are the hands, how close to the body, and does one also bow, and again where are the eyes.

All are dependent on the culture and what is the situation. What is correct in a routine day can be totally unsuitable in a more formal or in an official occasion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jow Ga has 7 bows that are cultural bows and then there are martial arts bows that are different with each schools.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know about bowing but if you don't pull a muscle by doing unnecessarily complex handshakes you're doing it wrong

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How many of your "different" bows are actually comprised of fighting applications positions, postures, etc?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's also the more formal kneeling bow (zarei in Japanese). The standing bow is called ritsu-rei, IIRC - I may have reversed those terms.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quite possibly , but i have no concern about it, I'm not that enamoured with it to be honest, its another silly thing that has nothing at all to do with fighting, I'm more of a fist touch sort of guy
It's not as big a deal as it once was, at least in the US. In Japan, there's a lot of cultural significance to the bow, so I'm told, but it doesn't carry such weight here. Generally, schools tend to either have very specific rituals around the bow, or they just bow. I prefer the ritual - it's a moment to get people focused on their training. Most folks have something they do that helps them get there. The bow has always been my moment to focus, in schools where they use one. It's does get silly if folks aren't using it for a good purpose, or if it is over-emphasized.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If we are speaking of a purely Japanese context, there are many, many nuances with a bow...depending on one's social class, in front of whom or out of respect for whom or what one is performing the bow, hand positions, degree of bow, there are many types of kneeling and bows for each of them...a properly executed bow is situational. Hence, there are only 2...

Are we armed, unarmed, long or short weapons, where they are placed (on us, next to us), in what environment are we performing the bow? What are we wearing...etc., etc., etc.

There's also the more formal kneeling bow (zarei in Japanese). The standing bow is called ritsu-rei, IIRC - I may have reversed those terms.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are speaking of a purely Japanese context, there are many, many nuances with a bow...depending on one's social class, in front of whom or out of respect for whom or what one is performing the bow, hand positions, degree of bow, there are many types of kneeling and bows for each of them...a properly executed bow is situational. Hence, there are only 2...

Are we armed, unarmed, long or short weapons, where they are placed (on us, next to us), in what environment are we performing the bow? What are we wearing...etc., etc., etc.
Agreed. Most schools, however, won't have those nuances, nor recognize them. For most US schools in Japanese arts (that I've been to, of course) they have either one bow (standing) or two (standing and kneeling). And, as you say, it's either correct (by their standards) or it is not, in each case.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree. And there is NOTHING worse than the penguin slap and the chicken peck, in my opinion. Or, maybe, the look sideways, facing one direction, and a twisted sort of bow in my direction...I cannot even begin to try to reciprocate.

Agreed. Most schools, however, won't have those nuances, nor recognize them. For most US schools in Japanese arts (that I've been to, of course) they have either one bow (standing) or two (standing and kneeling). And, as you say, it's either correct (by their standards) or it is not, in each case.