How many months until you reach diminishing returns stretching?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For those of you who have returned after some time off and had a routine training regime, how long would say it took until you reached your peak flexibility?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the reality is that flexibility changes over time. Even if we can stretch to the same limits few can do as much with it as they used to.
Honestly I need to stretch more. I feel better when I stretch every day.
Time is a bad measurement. Stretching is a piece of the puzzle.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the reality is that flexibility changes over time. Even if we can stretch to the same limits few can do as much with it as they used to.
Honestly I need to stretch more. I feel better when I stretch every day.
Time is a bad measurement. Stretching is a piece of the puzzle.

You don't lose any grip strength/fast twitch muscle fibers in your 50s. So no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same things if you have the same flexibility. You simply haven't updated your body enough.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lungs have obviously deteriorated s you can't do it for as long, but in spurts... no prevention whatsoever. grip strength is one of the last things to go.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't lose any grip strength/fast twitch muscle fibers in your 50s. So no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same things if you have the same flexibility. You simply haven't updated your body enough.
no not really, from your late 20s onwards you will likely loose about 1% of your muscle mass a year, more and earlier if your not particularly active, its quite easy to get to your mid 30s having lost 10% of your muscle mass, which is a greater problem if you didnt have much muscle to start off with

that degeneration can also be a major player in loss of mobility, skinny muscles dont stretch as far

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone in his 50’s, this is an overly simplistic view of the issue. There’s far more at play as the body ages.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no not really, from your late 20s onwards you will likely loose about 1% of your muscle mass a year, more and earlier if your not particularly active, its quite easy to get to your mid 30s having lost 10% of your muscle mass, which is a greater problem if you didnt have much muscle to start off with

that degeneration can also be a major player in loss of mobility, skinny muscles dont stretch as far
That’s higher than what I thought I remembered. Can you point me to a source to update me?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I wrote: IF flexibility remains the same. If it does not remain the same, then my statement does not hold true.

The other USER claimed that his flexibility was the same

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As someone in his 50’s, this is an overly simplistic view of the issue. There’s far more at play as the body ages.

There's a couple of intruding variables that create the perception of greater degeneration. First is weight gain. Gaining weight negatively affects ones technique. If you don't adjust to this weight change, you will ingrain this into a new muscle memory, creating the distorted perception of being slower, when all you've done is added a backpack to your body.

There is also the flexibility aspect. Suppose you need more work to keep it up but you don't adjust to this new fact, then you will be stiffer and technique will suffer accordingly.

Lungs however will degrade. This is completely irreversible. And your reaction time is much much worse, making it less appropriate to compete in fighting.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1:11

66 years old

Fast twitch does NOT go away...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a couple of intruding variables that create the perception of greater degeneration. First is weight gain. Gaining weight negatively affects ones technique. If you don't adjust to this weight change, you will ingrain this into a new muscle memory, creating the distorted perception of being slower, when all you've done is added a backpack to your body.

There is also the flexibility aspect. Suppose you need more work to keep it up but you don't adjust to this new fact, then you will be stiffer and technique will suffer accordingly.

Lungs however will degrade. This is completely irreversible. And your reaction time is much much worse, making it less appropriate to compete in fighting.
Still overt simplistic. You injure more easily and don’t heal as fast. Some things that didn’t seem to matter now show up as wear and tear.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Still overt simplistic. You injure more easily and don’t heal as fast. Some things that didn’t seem to matter now show up as wear and tear.

I thought we were comparing uninjured individuals.. You can be injured and inhibited at 15 too

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That’s higher than what I thought I remembered. Can you point me to a source to update me?
its not a particularly easy figure to come up with, as it rather depends on the terms of reference of the study and at what age they measured the base line, ive seen a multitude of figures quoted, a lb a year, 1% per year 8% per decade

there are two complimentary issue, one is aging and the other is inactivity and the fact there is a tendency for them to go together, which makes it difficult to decided which one is the main culprit

someone who is very active may only loose 3% muscle mass a decade, infract if they are body building they can keep putting it on to their 70s, they just have to build more than they loose in a year

couple it with a sedentary life style and it could be almost any figure at any age, dependent on just how sedentary they are and for how long

you can loose 2 or three pounds in a couple of weeks not moving much or at all, which considering a heathy 200 lb male could have 140lb of muscle isnt going to be noticed, till its ratcheted up quite a lot, a skinny under develop male and its very notable very quickly. the drop in strength through inactivity is factors higher than the drop in muscle mass, but as they get weaker they do less so the muscle mass decreases more

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wrote: IF flexibility remains the same. If it does not remain the same, then my statement does not hold true.

The other USER claimed that his flexibility was the same
flexability, well more accuratly mobility( flexability is no use at all), NEVER remains the same, like every other bodily function it's either increasing or diminishing at least over a reasonable time interval

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
flexability, well more accuratly mobility( flexability is no use at all), NEVER remains the same, like every other bodily function it's either increasing or diminishing at least over a reasonable time interval

I'm talking about noticeable differences to the naked eye

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is some truth to that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still haven’t.
Same here.. lol probably not a good answer for me. Being that it feels like I've started all over again. I'll be happy once I lose that Tingle sensation in my back. Nerves are still jacked up. Flexibility is shot. All summer gains of hard training out the door. I'm not sure what Maximum flexibility is. But I think I can get to this point.

I just need a really tall mountain and some cheese. I should hit maximum flexibility after the 3rd or 4th bounce

Latest Discussions