How long to receive blackbelt training full time in korea

Jimsinkorea

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. You mentioned that your son is the only non-Korean. This brings up a question: do you know if Korean national children also pay 100,000 Won per month and is the testing also $500 for them as well?

There are a lot of foreigners taking martial arts in Korea, I think it just turned out that on that day he was the only foreigner... that I could see. My wife is Korean and I asked the same question, wanted to make sure I wasn't being overcharged; she said it was a standard fee that everyone pays. It is also standard for the results and certs to take 3 months to receive, not sure if this is to make sure students don't just get their black belt and quit or if that is processing time. My wife did explain to me that no matter where my son goes in the States or around the world, he will be recognized as a black belt under those 2 different Hapkido organizations. I do want to add that my son really enjoys it so I think that is key to being successful for kids.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. You mentioned that your son is the only non-Korean. This brings up a question: do you know if Korean national children also pay 100,000 Won per month and is the testing also $500 for them as well?

I can only speak for our dojang, but we charge the same fees for everyone, regardless of ethnicity. We have students from every continent. I would tend to think that with the availability of information these days regarding testing/certification fees you would have to be stupid to charge different fees for different people, or just be a really ballsy and dishonest person.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for our dojang, but we charge the same fees for everyone, regardless of ethnicity. We have students from every continent. I would tend to think that with the availability of information these days regarding testing/certification fees you would have to be stupid to charge different fees for different people, or just be a really ballsy and dishonest person.

Agreed.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of foreigners taking martial arts in Korea, I think it just turned out that on that day he was the only foreigner... that I could see. My wife is Korean and I asked the same question, wanted to make sure I wasn't being overcharged; she said it was a standard fee that everyone pays. It is also standard for the results and certs to take 3 months to receive, not sure if this is to make sure students don't just get their black belt and quit or if that is processing time. My wife did explain to me that no matter where my son goes in the States or around the world, he will be recognized as a black belt under those 2 different Hapkido organizations. I do want to add that my son really enjoys it so I think that is key to being successful for kids.

The next questions I suppose would be what age would this 9 year be eligible for 4th Dan? Is 4th Dan master status in these two Hapkido organizations? Are there any age restrictions at all? And what are these two Hapkido organizations?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what I understand, a black belt in Korea means nothing more than that you've completed the basic course. It doesn't imply mastery or even a particular level of fighting ability. Any more than taking a basic art class makes you an artist. You train there, so perhaps you could tell me if I am off base.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand, a black belt in Korea means nothing more than that you've completed the basic course. It doesn't imply mastery or even a particular level of fighting ability. Any more than taking a basic art class makes you an artist. You train there, so perhaps you could tell me if I am off base.

I'm only speaking from a Taekwondo perspective, but I would say yes, black belt here is basically knowing the basics. Part of it is that almost everyone has a black belt, so it's become so common place that there isn't any mystique about it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really, being solid in the fundamentals can carry a person very far.

In my experience, what separates an advanced practitioner from a novice is not the technical difficulty of the techniques that they know but their strategy and ability to apply the basics across a broad range of applications.