how long to first dan in your jujutsu?

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
How long does it take to reach first dan (black belt) in your jujutsu?
I take daito ryu where it takes approx 1 year give or take to learn ikkajo (first dan equivelent) and hakko ryu where shodan can be learned in even less time. Our classes dont advertise this 1 year black belt to draw students, it simply means that youve covered the basics and you are ready to learn to start applying them. Do you guys believe that this makes a school look bad when a black belt is reached so quickly? Do other schools of jujutsu move through the ranks in this manner?
To be completely honest i could care less what my belt is ( i might almost rather be a lower rank for years simply cause people feel they should challenge/test you and and your skills because they think a black belt is gonna be a MA god)

M

MisterMike

A year to black belt is relatively quick compared to most styles I've seen. But everyone has their reasons. If you believe in them, I wouldn't wory about it. My dojo doesn't put a time on it but generally it is 4-5 years. One reason being, is that at Shodan, you are allowed to teach.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
A year to black belt is relatively quick compared to most styles I've seen. But everyone has their reasons. If you believe in them, I wouldn't wory about it. My dojo doesn't put a time on it but generally it is 4-5 years. One reason being, is that at Shodan, you are allowed to teach.

Is it a jujutsu or in kenpo that you are referring to? i know that most martial arts take alot longer but i was really wondering if it is common for most jujutsus to go through the ranks quicker

M

MisterMike

spatulahunter said:
Is it a jujutsu or in kenpo that you are referring to? i know that most martial arts take alot longer but i was really wondering if it is common for most jujutsus to go through the ranks quicker

I was referring to our aiki-jujutsu. Obviously a little different but I've talk with stylists from many backgrounds (non-jujutsu as well) and they are all in the 4-5 year bracket in most cases.

I didn't know Hakko Ryu was so quick to Shodan. Interesting.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Depends on how much time and effort you put in to it. For some, it takes three years, for others it takes less. You get out what you put in.
very true...it all depends on how your system looks at the black belt...i'd say as long as you're school is still teaching good material and isn't obviously trying to rush students through the rank...i don't see a problem with achieving black belt in a short amount of time...like you said...they explain it as just learning the basics...an intermediat position almost...i have no problems with that....it's if they were promoting to black within a year and telling students they had mastered the techniques...that's where i would find fault

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of some BJJ schools which require 10 years for shodan.
You could also send away on eBay and get one right away.
Just train, and don't worry about the rank. You'll be fine. :)

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How dose Your School go about testing your
skills?
1 Year to Black Belt Sounds offly short.
When U cosider That Everyone Learns in a Different
amount of Time.

How Often do U Spar?

How Long are Test's for Rank?

How Many Times a Week Dose a Student
Attend Class?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At Tsubaki Grand shrine, Tsubaki Aiki averages 7-11 years to Shodan. I also do freestyle Jujutsu, mostly thru HSC and it averages 1 year. but in freestyle, it is recommended that you regularly attend an MA school, and have previous experience before starting. this way, you can actually learn from the videos.
I have been doing Tsubaki Aiki for 2 years, and havent yet tested for 5th kyu, the first rank. in this way, the Gokyu's are recognized as kinda a teacher, when in the dojo. This does not mean they are instructors, though.
I have a Shodan in Velez Jujutsu, and i've been practicing for a year.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
ace said:
How dose Your School go about testing your
skills?
1 Year to Black Belt Sounds offly short.
When U cosider That Everyone Learns in a Different
amount of Time.

How Often do U Spar?

How Long are Test's for Rank?

How Many Times a Week Dose a Student
Attend Class?

well it isnt set that each student will have his shodan rank in 1 year, thats just usually how it turns out, we usually go to class 4 times a week. Black is generally the only rank that we do in hakko ryu, white to black.
To test our skills we have to cut down the largest tree in the forest with a herring. hehe jk we do a test of the techniques with our teacehr

T

The Sarg

I would say 4 years is a good mark. Some may be able to get it in 3 1/2, others may need 5 or even 5 1/2. It took me 4. I am not saying the school in question is a bad school because I haven't seen them train, but I would at least question any school that issues a black belt in 1 year.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Sarg said:
but I would at least question any school that issues a black belt in 1 year.

well our shihan teaches for enjoyment and perpetuation of the art (our payments are made through cleaning and helping around the dojo) so i dont think you have to question what hes in it for

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had some training in daito ryu and people who were already dan rank in other arts still had to put in years to get a dan rank. Every art I have come across they make you put in a good amount of years ( I tried to expose myself to alot of differnt things) before dan. That said there are some arts where in a shorter period of time 2-3 years you can be more effective with it than others.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
I had some training in daito ryu and people who were already dan rank in other arts still had to put in years to get a dan rank. Every art I have come across they make you put in a good amount of years ( I tried to expose myself to alot of differnt things) before dan. That said there are some arts where in a shorter period of time 2-3 years you can be more effective with it than others.
which daito ryu did you train in?
Our dan ranks have nothing to do with how much time you have spent in other arts, it has to do with how long it takes you to learn the required material and be able to teach the required material to others

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My point was not that their rank should have been transferred from one art to the other.
My point was that these guys who already had dan ranks in other arts and who were picking up many of the basic complexities ( oxymoron) of the ikkajo series (the first 30 techniques if i remember correctly) , and were capable of teaching beginners, still had to go a few years to get thier first dan. In any given style there are always subdivisions and some schools move slower than others.

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the school I train at it depends on the person someone that is use to ukemi will advance alot further than a new person off the street. I have seen guys make it in under 2 years and others 5 to six years.-

S

supernix

I studied Hakko Ryu Jujutsu for roughly 6 months to a year I am rather shocked to hear about someone making black belt in a year.
When I was training back in 92-94 my sensei was a stickler about fluidity of techniques. From what I remember that was supposedly one of the requirements for blue belt was that your throws and such had to be very controlled and very fluid.

Latest Discussions