How large are the long telephotos? BIG

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lens Rentals has some videos up showing the sizes of some of the big telephotos that is pretty interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_euUMN-V1s&hd=1

It's interesting what you get used to and consider "big". I shoot with a Sigma 150-500mm fairly often which is a fairly large lens but the long F/2.8 lenses dwarf it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We just got the new Nikon 70-200 F/2.8 VRII and it is awesome - you can't hold that up all day though, can't be used without a tripod.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm considering renting a 400-500mm for an upcoming air show. Have to think if I want to lug it and the support system around all day.

OP
H

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've shot the Sigma 150-500 for most of a day without a tripod, it's not to bad. One of the big 500mm F/4 lenses would be tough even for a half an hour, much less a day!

That Canon 400mm F/4 might not be too bad if you didn't want to use a tripod, and the 100-400mm would be a snap....unless you're a Nikon shooter like me, then maybe you want to go for the 300mm F/4 and a 1.4 TC.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you sure those lenses aren't for those wishing to compensate?? :rolleyes: :lol:

I know most are very good for sporting events, wildlife photography and spying on your neighbor (or their wife) and so on. Useful if one does that type of photography often. They eventually pay for themselves.
Renting one is a good idea if you're finding yourself having to need one for a one or twice in a life-time deal. Otherwise owning one would be IMO a waste of money if you're only going to use it a couple of times.

The largest lens I had when I was shooting an SLR professionally was a simple 80-200mm which basically covered just about anything that I needed to shoot within that range which was quite often. I really wanted to get my hands on a straight 100 mm for (outdoor) portrait photography. But alas t'was not meant to be.
Were I to get back into major photography and try to replace all that I had once lost (upgraded of course)... I'd be looking at 5 digits to spend.
Still photography interests me as much now as it did back when I was trying to earn a living from it. But buying one of the super-teles, would've been impractical back then. Dunno about now-a-days... depends where I would find myself and what part of the country I'd be in.
For caving none of these (BIG) lenses would work at all of course. 28's, 35's and 50's would be the norm... using DSLR's.

Latest Discussions