How far would you go to protect a co-worker?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I belong to a business networking group. Recently someone posed a situation where they work with someone that has an unusual medical condition that can cause them to fall very ill with very little warning. The person in question has medication for the condition, but the medication is in suppository form. A few people in the group got grossed out at the idea of giving a suppository to a colleague (vs. waiting for paramedics to arrive).

That left me wondering....we all have skills to protect the health and safety of others....just how far would you go to protect a co-worker?

I"m far from an EMT, so in any medical situation, I'd call 911. Of course, if there was someone nearby who was qualified to assist, I'd let them, as any care given prior to an EMT, Paramedic, etc. arriving is better than nothing.

Of course, if anyone has the chance to take a CPR course, First Aid, etc., I'd suggest it. As I said, its better to know something and you just may be able to help the person long enough before professional help arrives.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IOf course, if anyone has the chance to take a CPR course, First Aid, etc., I'd suggest it. As I said, its better to know something and you just may be able to help the person long enough before professional help arrives.

Well said...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would more gladly help a complete stranger than someone who has been a dick to me. Now, if someone is just a little bit of a hateful person, that is one thing, but, if they are REALLY hateful? Well, I might just have to let them fend for themselves! There is a certain line for me, where, if crossed, I think, "Okay, we are no longer friends."

That doesn't happen too often, but it does happen sometimes, for me.

Oh I like helping someone who's like that lol, it puts me one up on them! It's like the forgiveness thing, do you know how much it infuriates people to be told after they've done something nasty to you that you forgive them lol! It makes you seem the superior person, but of course you know the adage ...don't get mad, get even!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Call me an *******, but it would depend on how I felt about the person in question. In most cases, I would provide aid or protection, but not in all of them... I know people that are contemptable enough to me that I simply wouldn't bother.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I belong to a business networking group. Recently someone posed a situation where they work with someone that has an unusual medical condition that can cause them to fall very ill with very little warning. The person in question has medication for the condition, but the medication is in suppository form. A few people in the group got grossed out at the idea of giving a suppository to a colleague (vs. waiting for paramedics to arrive).

That left me wondering....we all have skills to protect the health and safety of others....just how far would you go to protect a co-worker?

I think it depends on everyone. For example I was studying vet before we came to TX with my husband and I worked with dead animals, almost putrid meal, and other disgusting things (lol). I had to clean sick animals, their vomit, diarrhea, etc. So, if I can really save someone's life just giving him the suppository I'd just do it (with a goood pair of gloves lol) and then call 911. But obviously other people just can't.

In a self defense situation I am really up in the air. I have a wife and three kids that expect to see daddy come home from work every night. Does this mean I would never risk my life? No. But I would not go on a suicide mission for someone either.

I agree!

Latest Discussions