How does an art go through a revival?

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about this while reading this wikipedia entry on Sunmudo. I am wondering how did they revive it? Where did they find the knowledge and practitioners if the art died out?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything has a season, martial arts is no exception. For something to be revived, all it takes is what was needed in the first place. Dedication, vision, and hard work.
icon7.gif

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everything has a season, martial arts is no exception. For something to be revived, all it takes is what was needed in the first place. Dedication, vision, and hard work.
icon7.gif

That's beautiful man. But how do you even start such a huge task? How do you know you are even reviving it properly? Or is it all on faith?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's beautiful man. But how do you even start such a huge task? How do you know you are even reviving it properly? Or is it all on faith?
In order for a revival, there was some direction lost. Perhaps a death. Once that fire is gone it takes someone of equal vision to put it back on a path, and this can only come from within.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have heard about people doing restoration of European sword arts based upon old fighting manuals. I would suppose that to restore an art, and still have it be that art and not just a modern art that takes the name, enough material must exist in order to have a foundation to build upon. A substantial amount of study into the time period that the art existed in would also be in order, focusing on the fighting conventions of the day as well as any linguistic peculiarities that would have an effect on how historical texts dealing with the art are understood.

Daniel

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One word: Hollywood. ;)

Put it in a movie (or worse, a game), and you can count on imitators, and new students beating a path to new studios headed by unknown 'masters'. The 'boom and bust' cycle in MA prompted by media exposure. But after the dust settles, the residual awareness is 'out there', and earnest students keep looking for the 'real deal'. Resulting in a revival.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What Daniel said up above..
I liken it to Pankration. and Jim Arvantis reviving it.
Pankration as a Greek martial art was supposedly dead, not practiced in centuries and he supposedly revived it by going over the existing written and pictoral evidence of its existence and connecting the dots with his own common sense, and similar martial arts answers.... is it the same as the original? I doubt it is completely, is it better or worse? I would guess it has some positives and some negatives... but without the existing written and pictoral evidence of its existence he would have had nowhere to go.. without current similar styles to relate to he would have no point of reference, and without common sense and trial and error and passion he would not have had the drive to do it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
icon7.gif

Beautiful, wonderful, best way of saying it Bravo!!!!

Latest Discussions