how do you side-kick?

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Two variations in foot position I have been taught in formal instruction. First, striking with the heel. Later I learned to strike with the outside edge of the foot, the "blade of the foot". I was recently shown another variant from an old school TKD friend. Instead of striking with the heel or blade; striking with the extended ball of the foot. A bit like a sideways front kick. I can see uses for each. The heel is a tough spot, hard to damage and no toes in the way. A great choice for strict placement on a small spot. It is my choice for a shot to the bladder or solar plexus. The blade, I use it to gain more full contact and either push away the opponent, or bend them over a bit with a low gut shot. It also gives me an additional two inches ish of reach. With an extended foot (the ball) , I only have done it while executing aerial side-kicks when my opponent was quick and I needed still, a few more inches of reach. The striking area is smaller again, but the toes are exposed and vulnerable.
What do you do, and why?
What do you think?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Striking with the ball of the foot will give you extra reach, at the expense of a great deal of power. It's probably most useful for points scoring.
I teach the heel of the foot from Day 1, primarily for targeting the solar plexus, head/face, etc. As precision improves, I teach the blade as a way to reach smaller targets such as the throat.
I don't teach the ball of the foot at all, and actively discourage it's use.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yokogeri - sokuto or blade edge of the foot, delivered to the side.

Shobageri - front snap kick delivered with the ball of the foot (koshi), but to the side (after turning).

Shobakonate - low kick delivered with sokuto at a 45 degree angle (knee-crusher).

Technically, fumikomi is also a type of side kick. Cross-over stomp kick delivered with the heel (kakato).

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually strike with the heel. The situation I can think of where striking with the blade of the foot might be more effective is if you're aiming at the knee joint. I've never heard of striking with the extended ball of the foot.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually strike with the heel. The situation I can think of where striking with the blade of the foot might be more effective is if you're aiming at the knee joint. I've never heard of striking with the extended ball of the foot.

All three are quite common in Isshin-Ryu. When we deliver the ball-of-the-foot kick, it's the same as a front snap kick; just delivered to the side. In other words, we line up facing forward, as if our opponent was in front of us. We detect an attack from one side; we turn to face the danger, front snap kick and land facing forward again. So take your basic front snap kick and add a quick turn to the side before and after the kick. That's about it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I kick with the blade, my wife kicks with the heel.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chang Hon - Side Piercing Kick - Back third outside edge of foot called the "Footsword" Side Thrusting Kick- Ball of foot.. To better understand the "Whys" you need to understand the Chang Hon Types of attacks vis a vis "Striking" "Piercing" and "Thrusting"

While the heel is a nice firm surface there is a potential for developing a "Heel Spur" which is extremely unpleasant.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've always done it and taught with the heel.
I've seen and heard of people using the blade of the foot, but never heard many reasons that made me feel just using the heel was inadequate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All three are quite common in Isshin-Ryu. When we deliver the ball-of-the-foot kick, it's the same as a front snap kick; just delivered to the side. In other words, we line up facing forward, as if our opponent was in front of us. We detect an attack from one side; we turn to face the danger, front snap kick and land facing forward again. So take your basic front snap kick and add a quick turn to the side before and after the kick. That's about it.
In Nihon Goshin Aikido, this is called "Front Kick to the Side", and is identical to what you've described.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always done it and taught with the heel.
I've seen and heard of people using the blade of the foot, but never heard many reasons that made me feel just using the heel was inadequate.
I was taught to use the blade, and it has somehow never occurred to me to use the heel. I need to get to a kickable target...

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use the heel or the side or edge of the heel, depending on the target. I never use the side of the foot.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Striking with the ball of the foot will give you extra reach, at the expense of a great deal of power. It's probably most useful for points scoring.
I teach the heel of the foot from Day 1, primarily for targeting the solar plexus, head/face, etc. As precision improves, I teach the blade as a way to reach smaller targets such as the throat.
I don't teach the ball of the foot at all, and actively discourage it's use.
I never even heard doing a side kick using the ball of the foot. If someone asked us to kick a door down by using a side kick, I wonder how many would naturally try to kick it down with the ball of the foot.

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would never recommend using the ball of the foot for a side kick. It sounds too risky for the ankle.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never even heard doing a side kick using the ball of the foot. If someone asked us to kick a door down by using a side kick, I wonder how many would naturally try to kick it down with the ball of the foot.

>>I would never recommend using the ball of the foot for a side kick. It sounds too risky for the ankle.<<

Therein lies the need to understand the system. The Chang Hon system has 3 basic (there are more than 3 but these make up the majority of attack types.) types of attacks designed for different types of targets. As noted the "Side Thrust' Kick uses the ball of the foot. The "Thrust" type of attack is specified to "Cut Through" a softer vital spot. (I think "Cut Through" was an in artful use of English terminology and perhaps "penetrate" would have been a better choice.) Just as a fingertip "Thrust" was never meant to knock down a door neither was this kick.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the heel or the side or edge of the heel, depending on the target. I never use the side of the foot.
Hmmm...now that I think about it, I've always talked about this as being the "side of the foot", but my kick actually uses the side of the heel, rather than the blade edge of the foot. Odd that I never noticed that distinction in all the time I've been practicing that kick.

Latest Discussions