How do you...master the basics

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There had been much talk about the meaning of Shodan/Cho-dan/black belt. One thing almost everybody who uses a belt system agrees on is that it signifies mastery of the basics/strong understanding of the basics/proficiency in the basics or some other variant on that theme.

My question today is "How do you define mastery of the basics?"

Is it consistant technical proficency demonstrated? How about mechanical understanding of how the body executes the technique? Could it be the ability to adapt the technique to fit multiple situations or just the ability to use it well in a single specific situation?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it consistant technical proficency demonstrated? How about mechanical understanding of how the body executes the technique? Could it be the ability to adapt the technique to fit multiple situations or just the ability to use it well in a single specific situation?

I'd say you hit the nail right on the head with all of those.

Jeff

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that a better way to state this is that someone attaining Shodan has achieved a reasonably good level of proficiency with the basics. This level is sufficient, that he is now ready to move on to more advanced learning. I'm not so sure that someone has truly mastered the basics at any stage.

To truly master the basics is going to be an all but impossible feat. We're human beings. We can, and do make mistakes, and nobody's perfect. However, we can certainly come closer to perfection by constantly trying to master those basics, and we'll all be better off the closer we do come to true mastery of the said techniques.

Even if one's proficiency with the basics is "good enough" to move on to the next level, he should still continue to improve upon those basics, again striving for mastery. If he doesn't, then his abilities stagnate.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
There had been much talk about the meaning of Shodan/Cho-dan/black belt. One thing almost everybody who uses a belt system agrees on is that it signifies mastery of the basics/strong understanding of the basics/proficiency in the basics or some other variant on that theme.

I'd say you answered your own question, at least with the answers I had in mind.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
hello there

you can never master anything in that you can only get very good at the basics by practice practice practice. that is how you advance in the basics:supcool:

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:

You have mastered the basics once you can react naturally, and still retain proper basic technique.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kingkong89 said:
hello there

you can never master anything in that you can only get very good at the basics by practice practice practice. that is how you advance in the basics:supcool:

kingkong89 beat me to it..So let me add repetition,repetition.repetition..Excuse any typos, can't find my glasses...

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
I think that a better way to state this is that someone attaining Shodan has achieved a reasonably good level of proficiency with the basics. This level is sufficient, that he is now ready to move on to more advanced learning. I'm not so sure that someone has truly mastered the basics at any stage.

To truly master the basics is going to be an all but impossible feat. We're human beings. We can, and do make mistakes, and nobody's perfect. However, we can certainly come closer to perfection by constantly trying to master those basics, and we'll all be better off the closer we do come to true mastery of the said techniques.

Even if one's proficiency with the basics is "good enough" to move on to the next level, he should still continue to improve upon those basics, again striving for mastery. If he doesn't, then his abilities stagnate.

This hits it on the head! Shodan, in my opinion, doesn't signify mastery of the basics. Rather it indicates that the student has acquired a fundamental understanding of them and can perform them with a reasonable measure of proficiency.

Mastery is something we all continually strive for.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At shodan I don't look at their complete understanding of the technique but at the level the technique is performed at. Is it fluid and powerful or are the trying to muscle the technique. The depth of understanding the techniques in my system should become greater after shodan ie: why does this technique work type thing.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It might be a bit of nitpicking, but I'd say "perfect practice makes perfect."

I've seen a lot of folks do lots of repetitions of blocks/punches/kicks/forms, but they were not performing the techniques properly so they were hard-wiring bad performance in their muscle memory.

I don't think you need to be a "master" of the basics to become a 1st dan, but believe consistent, reasonable performance is a minimum standard.

Miles

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
To me "mastery" or "competent proficiency" of the basics entails the ability to use them and integrate them with little or none of the thought processes needed when intitially learning a given move. If taught competently and learned properly this is a process that will result in the basic moves of a system "coming together" at where most systems would award a Shodan/Chodan/Black Sash (or what have you). Most importantly it must remembered that this should be viewed as the starting point for serious study, regardless of the system.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
kingkong89 beat me to it..So let me add repetition,repetition.repetition..Excuse any typos, can't find my glasses...

Kingkong89 and Drac has said enough for me.
Terry

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me, mastering is not the same as perfecting.

We have master plumbers, for example, but no perfect plumbers.

So mastering a basic technique is being able to execute it with proficiency and without giving any thought as to how to do it.

First you master the basics so you can begin to study the art.

After getting a black belt, you attempt to master the art.

Attempting to perfect both techniques and the art itself are a lifelong pursuit.

In striving for perfection, you may achieve excellence.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:

All of these in addition to ALOT of practice! I do feel though, that as the student advances, so should their understanding of the material.

Mike

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
Everyone will have their own interpretation of the term "mastery," or what it means to master a skill.

Here is mine:
When you no longer have to check a book, or ask someone else for the answer, when you don't hesitate, and can respond quickly, and reflexively with basic techniques that work the majority of the time, and when they don't work, you are able to immediately switch to a different technique that does work. To me, "mastery" of basics is not "perfection" but rather a competent level of performance from memory.

Mastery of an entire art, is a bit more in-depth, but basically the same concept.
1. When a question arises, do you go to a source for the answer, or are you the source that others go to?

2. When applying your skills, are you successful the majority of the time?

3. When you screw up, are you at a loss for what to do? Do you fall to pieces, and give up, or do you find another way to accomplish the task?

CM D.J. Eisenhart