How do you find Time & Energy for MA?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Moving on from the place of God and the kids, it can be very hard to fit the training and MT in when you also need to pay the bills and bringin in your greens is derived from MT activities.

I agree that it is at times a matter of just keeping on putting the gi/uniform on as much as possible as it can be hard to get back into the regeime/rhythm when you can only go sporadically to the club or make time to train.

I like my work but happen to be in an industry where the daily hours are generally always long, so recently I have not been able to go to my regular club that much but I still try to fit in my power/weights work every lunch time instead of heading to the canteen etc and just chewing the fat (literally and metaphorically) (I make this pretty non-negotiable except where clients really need to see me at that time). I have a full length heavy bag and focus pads etc at home so most nights I then work my techniques and when I can, meet up with friends to train one on one.

Even when you can't make it to the club try to do stuff when you can, ie kata or whatever in the hotel room when you need to travel or use the hotel gym if available. I concede nothing matches training with others and especially your betters/sensei but as said above, when you cut out all the TV and rubbish that clutters up the edges of our lives (or more than the edges) there's always some time for MA.

I am a very keen MA'st and until recently was able to focus and compete a lot but, like many others, don't want or am unable to open a school myself and love the job I do that brings in the greenbacks; such is life. Those out there that have fully continued down the MA route and make their livelihoods out of it, that is awesome and would be a beautiful thing....that said (and no offense to anyone specific intended) some of the best training and clubs I have been to have been those run after hours and not as a fully commercial undertaking (and some of them can be a complete let down!). But maybe that's another post and no doubt canvassed already in full.
Best

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's a struggle. I have a full-time job, a wife, two kids, and various other commitments. My family comes first. The job is obviously a necessity. And that makes things tough. By the time I've gotten home, made dinner, eaten, and gotten the kids down to bed, it's usually after 8pm. And I'm not dashing straight out the door. I'm often trying to take care of other things or actually spending some time hanging out with my wife.

My saving grace, right now, is that I work at a small college. So there's a gym on campus. At lunch time, I've been trying to do some cardio or hit the pads with a coworker I identified who also trains. And there are burgeoning MMA and BJJ groups that train on Friday afternoons. So I'm planning on taking my lunch break on Fridays to practice with them.

It's taking some creativity and an understanding with my coworker (who also likes to work out at lunch). But there's hope.

Stuart

OP
G

goldwarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a full length heavy bag and focus pads etc at home so most nights I then work my techniques and when I can

I've resorted to using my heavy bag as well. It's great for keeping yourself active and getting exercise, but you definitely need to train with other people.

Narges

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm not THAT busy in the current stage of my life. The only other occupation I have other than MA is school, but I think if I were an adult with all those responsibilities, my answer would be exactly the same as Chris Parker's.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been quite lucky. I have two professions that I love: computers and Taekwondo.

OP
G

goldwarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To some extent it's more difficult for me. I do physical labor for a living, and at the end of the day there really is no energy left.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find it quite easy .... now that I have stopped working. Now my time is my own and I really don't know how I ever found the time to go to work!
icon10.gif

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I run a business and I am very stressed out all day, so for me martial arts are my escape, its almost like a form of meditation where I get to clear my head for an hour or so and not think about work for a while. So, despite being physically and mentally exhausted every afternoon I just cant wait to get to class to relax:)

Latest Discussions