How do we rebuild New Orleans?

How would you rebuild?

• Same location just with Cat5 levee systems

• Same location but with an entirely redesigned system

• Different location. Stay out of the flood plain.

Results are only viewable after voting.
NOLA was a great city with a rich, wonderful history. But it is over.

If not now, it would have been soon. The city started out below sea level, surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico, swamps, the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchartrain. It was doomed from the start.

The Mississippi River has been naturally changing course for decades (maybe longer). The Army Corps of Engineers has been fighting against that for as far back as I can recall, and fighting a losing battle as flooding has continually gotten worse. The levee system around NOLA has been pumping millions of gallons of water every day to try and fend off flooding, that was before the storm. As the beaches eroded and the city continually sank the dams and levees offered less and less protection.
At the rate the city was sinking it would have been part of the Gulf of Mexico in a hundred years or less. After all is settled, It will be interesting to see how far below sea level the city limits are now, probably 14-15 feet.

It will cost 100 billion dollars or more to rebuild NOLA and take several decades. Most likely, the city will be smacked by 5 more major storms before the rebuilding is done.

If the rebuilding is done in 20 years, at the rate the city was sinking before the storm it will be completely submerged in one generation. Now that the city is 2-3 feet closer to being under the Gulf of Mexico than it was before the storm that timetable is moved up by 20 years.

Is it really worth the cost to rebuild the doomed city, knowing full well that all efforts are in vain and within a single generation an eaven greater catastrophe WILL happen and all will be lost and can never be recovered?

7starmantis said:
Everyone is saying move the city, anyone got a plan on where to move it?
I say we should look for a nice hill rather than a "bowl" surrounded by bodies of water.

Wow JAMJTX and I agree on something. Is it really worth rebuilding when it is most likely going to be destroyed again. Of course you could model it after Venice. If you do rebuild it where it is then why not.

As long as cutting taxes has to be a priority to get elected any city that needs a expensive system built and maintained to protect it is in the wrong place.

Cause 20 years from now some new president will just cut the funding again, cause the odds of it happening durring there term are pretty low, and that is a big chunk of money they can avoid spending to make everyone happy.... providing nothing bad happens in which case the political back peddling begins.

Where can we find a nice hill the size of N.O. that is'nt allready occupied? I do like the idea of a southern venice :)

7sm

Were not talking about "Venice" here, were talking Atlantis.
Although Venice is also sinking and will be completely submerged in about 50 years.

JAMJTX said:
Were not talking about "Venice" here, were talking Atlantis.
Although Venice is also sinking and will be completely submerged in about 50 years.
Actually Venice isn't sinking the surrounding waters are raising....but I hear ya :)

7sm

Why not employ all those displaced low-income people that will be recieving assistance from all areas of society. As low level construction workers to rebuild the town?:popcorn: :tantrum: :D

Rebuilding New Orleans may be less and less likely.

I saw a headline earlier today that indicated the St. Paul Travelers Insurance Company is going to stop insuring commercial properties in New Orleans.

St. Paul Travelers insurance is the largest commercial insurer in Louisiana. Because of its size in the market, some analysts are concerned that smaller players may also decide to stop selling commercial policies.

If commercial insurance policies become scarce, or overly burdensome, we will be able to watch the city as it atrophies.

Back