How did we get so old???

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Bill Mattocks made a comment in another thread about age catching up. It got me thinking. How the heck did I get so old? It just doesn't seem possible. In my mind, nobody ages.

P7260150.JPG

This is Izzy (L) and Paddy (R), demonstrating a partner stretch for one of my books. They'd been training for a year or so when this was taken. In my mind, this is still them. But in reality, they are both black belts and college students. Izzy is finishing her Freshman year and Paddy her Junior. Amazing young women. But how did they grow up? And when did I get so old?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am still amazed that my sister's friend has 4 kids, and the oldest is grown now. To me she is still 14....
then again, in my mind I am still 16....

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Usually, all I have to do is see a current photo of myself and think "damn I'm old".
Appearance is a big deal for sure but what gets me the most is trying to reconcile what I could do in my 20's-30's versus now. For example, watching video of me back in the day compared to now is just, sadly funny.
Am I still effective? Yes.
Is most everything done differently? Yes.
Could I get in the ring with my 25-year old self and hold my own? Yes, if I could get around the rules.:confused:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my case, I started training at age 46. I didn't have any illusions about being young in the martial arts to begin with. I was quite fat as well. However, by the time I hit my early 50s, I was feeling much better. I was never going to be competitive with those younger than me, but my body was doing what I asked of it.

Now I'm in my 60s. Things are just flat wearing out. My knees are full of arthritis. I have a high pain threshold, they don't hurt (doctor says they should), but they don't do what I tell them always either. My right shoulder is coming undone, punching air sometimes makes it pop out. My diabetes-caused neuropathy is making me walk funny, as my gait is messed up. I'm either foot-slapping or toe-dragging as I walk sometimes, and walking more than a block is murder.

My heart is angry with me, and afib is no joke. Standing up can make me feel like passing out. Doctor says it won't get better - terrific.

Still, I'll keep training somehow. Maybe it's time to start writing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even in my delusional mind, the best fantasy I can pull off is, I'm in my 40's. The scary thing will be finding yourself fantasizing you're still in your 60's.
My mental image of my physical age hasn't changed in the last 20 years. I've no idea why.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My mental image of my physical age hasn't changed in the last 20 years. I've no idea why.
Your twenties must have been really good years! But, then again, we were all studs in our twenties, attacking life with enthusiasm. Keeping a little of this gung ho attitude makes getting old easier and more rewarding. Not that I'm biased, but I thank MA for keeping the spark going. At 15 years old, I made the best decision in my life.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your twenties must have been really good years! But, then again, we were all studs in our twenties, attacking life with enthusiasm. Keeping a little of this gung ho attitude makes getting old easier and more rewarding. Not that I'm biased, but I thank MA for keeping the spark going. At 15 years old, I made the best decision in my life.
Thinking about it, I suspect it comes from my professional start. I was 23 when I started interacting with executive management at large companies. Everyone I worked with (clients and coworkers) was at least 20 years older and much more experienced. It was an intimidating time for me, and I don’t think I ever really stopped feeling like the kid who snuck into a C-suite meeting.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
how is one thing, but i know why i got this old. i learned how to protect myself. Ol' Grim has taken a few swipes at me. and i've never been smart enough to stay out of his way.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time is the fire in which we burn….

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my case, I started training at age 46. I didn't have any illusions about being young in the martial arts to begin with. I was quite fat as well. However, by the time I hit my early 50s, I was feeling much better. I was never going to be competitive with those younger than me, but my body was doing what I asked of it.

Now I'm in my 60s. Things are just flat wearing out. My knees are full of arthritis. I have a high pain threshold, they don't hurt (doctor says they should), but they don't do what I tell them always either. My right shoulder is coming undone, punching air sometimes makes it pop out. My diabetes-caused neuropathy is making me walk funny, as my gait is messed up. I'm either foot-slapping or toe-dragging as I walk sometimes, and walking more than a block is murder.
I
My heart is angry with me, and afib is no joke. Standing up can make me feel like passing out. Doctor says it won't get better - terrific.

Still, I'll keep training somehow. Maybe it's time to start writing.
I'm pushing 80 yrs and can relate to peripheral neuropathy, "no know cause". I have all the symptoms you describe so I can relate, all to well...We can explain it to someone but unless they have it it is hard to describe in a way they will understand.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pushing 80 yrs and can relate to peripheral neuropathy, "no know cause". I have all the symptoms you describe so I can relate, all to well...We can explain it to someone but unless they have it it is hard to describe in a way they will understand.
It's easy to figure out what caused mine. Ultimately, it's chemo. I was on cisplatin for 9 months, which is known to cause neuropathies. I'm off that, but the stuff I am on now (massive doses of Lanreotide-LAR) suppresses insulin production. So diabetes. Which adds to the neuropathies. Oddles of fun. But the statistics say I should have died 6 years ago. And I'm not only still alive, I'm still working full time. Neuopathy sucks, but it's a fair trade.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's easy to figure out what caused mine. Ultimately, it's chemo. I was on cisplatin for 9 months, which is known to cause neuropathies. I'm off that, but the stuff I am on now (massive doses of Lanreotide-LAR) suppresses insulin production. So diabetes. Which adds to the neuropathies. Oddles of fun. But the statistics say I should have died 6 years ago. And I'm not only still alive, I'm still working full time. Neuopathy sucks, but it's a fair trade.
That’s a rough hand. Here’s to beating the odds.

Latest Discussions