how confident are you in your art ?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well due to this stupid pandemic probably not as sharp as I used to be. Also I'm starting to get severe knee pain (Thanks HS Football!) so I think I'm seeing knee surgery in my near future.

I think if some bum came at me I could still hold my own, but the knee thing worries me a bit. Not sure my kicks or guard play would be as effective as it needs to be if things go south. I'm going to need about 6 months of daily training to get back to where I think I need to be, and that aint happening till this pandemic is over.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well due to this stupid pandemic probably not as sharp as I used to be. Also I'm starting to get severe knee pain (Thanks HS Football!) so I think I'm seeing knee surgery in my near future.

I think if some bum came at me I could still hold my own, but the knee thing worries me a bit. Not sure my kicks or guard play would be as effective as it needs to be if things go south. I'm going to need about 6 months of daily training to get back to where I think I need to be, and that aint happening till this pandemic is over.
yea, i think grappling arts are hit hardest by all this,,there really no way to practice at all if your buying in to the hype.

striker can at least go hit a bag

though a i have to say that people learnibg striking over zoom are being deprived of their time and if appkicable money under false pretences, i think it works as a community thing, but really not a lot else, unless of course your under the impresion that kata and air shots have any great value? but then from previous conversation it seems quite a few do

on the otherhand, keeping your conditioning if not yoyr skills up to standard is a very easy propostion under lock down, the problem i suspect is motivation, i know its my issue as well

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yea, i think grappling arts are hit hardest by all this,,there really no way to practice at all if your buying in to the hype.

though a i have to say that people learnibg striking over zoom are being deprived of their time and if appkicable money under false pretences, i think it works as a community thing, but really not a lot else, unless of course your under the impresion that kata and air shots have any great value? but then from previous conversation it seems quite a few do

on the otherhand, keeping your conditioning if not yoyr skills up to standard is a very easy propostion under lock down, the problem i suspect is motivation, i know its my issue as well

I think there is contradiction here. If you have been taught how to maintain your skills through shadow boxing and doing forms (original purpose) throughout you MA career this is what you will default to. They are excellent solo training tools.
If a person is new to the craft this could be problematic because it lacks the critique and correction of a coach/instructor. Of course the same can be said of banging on a bag. It is a great conditioning tool but can also engrain some bad habits.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there is contradiction here. If you have been taught how to maintain your skills through shadow boxing and doing forms (original purpose) throughout you MA career this is what you will default to. They are excellent solo training tools.
If a person is new to the craft this could be problematic because it lacks the critique and correction of a coach/instructor. Of course the same can be said of banging on a bag. It is a great conditioning tool but can also engrain some bad habits.
i dont think kata is without value, i also dont think it meets the simpicuty and immediacy of shadow boxing or that you can maibta8n your boxibg skills by shadow boxing alone
its at best a warm up

kata is a training tool, but not one a lot of very effective arts find necessary at all or dont take at all seriously if they do a bit.

non of which says it has no value, just solo kata as a training tool is largly teaching you how to do kata, which is then an open question of if that a good use of time or not

its bleed over to a actually hittiing things is very very debatable

but if thats all you have at the moment, then thats all you have, ir you could by a bag, its not that hard, , the point about bags ingraing bad habits, is double for air shots, at least a bag gives you some feed back, even if the feed back is pain, you wont do that again in a hurry

my issue really is people takibg money iff you to teach you something, that has no great value, other than a way of keeping income comming in

lot of folk on here that were anti distance learning for very good reasons, now seem to think its a very good thing, whilst ignoring the reasons why it isnt

Last edited:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How confident Im in my Art? like one of the member said it depends on the situation and whose attacking me. I know that one day my Bro inlaw will attack me but if he does im ready.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
it´s not a question of how confident you are in any art..but yourself

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If nothing else, it keeps people moving, lets them get some repetitions in with feedback from a coach. Not as useful as a live class, but far better than nothing, IMO.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
grappling is great but i was a Boxer in the Army and i can tell you that speed and staminia count. fitness. Sure a lot of BJJ guys will say they will take you to the ground but trust me if you can box you will end "most" fights quickly.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If nothing else, it keeps people moving, lets them get some repetitions in with feedback from a coach. Not as useful as a live class, but far better than nothing, IMO.
?? how much better than nothing? 10 times better than nothing, thats eer nothing and nothing isnt the only alternate option

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why are you looking for an argument?
im looking for qualification of your point, you quoted me to disagree,

how much better than nothing is it, if your doibg something is it still better than that

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im looking for qualification of your point, you quoted me to disagree,

how much better than nothing is it, if your doibg something is it still better than that
I don't know how much better than nothing. Somewhat better. How's that? I wasn't so much disagreeing as giving my thoughts on the value provided. Is it the same value as an in-person class? That's up to the person taking the class. In the current context, they may find the monetary value the same.

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know how much better than nothing. Somewhat better. How's that? I wasn't so much disagreeing as giving my thoughts on the value provided. Is it the same value as an in-person class? That's up to the person taking the class. In the current context, they may find the monetary value the same.
is some what more or less than " lots" which was your first stab at it.
if your quoting me to contradict, sorry express a contary opinion, at least take the trouble to have considet your opinion, beyond " lots" and " some what"

beyond community, which has value, i consider it has a value that apromimate to nothing, at a point when you cant even do compliant partner drills, then what exactly are you learning?

i suspect for novices it has a value less than nothing, lets say minus 10, they will be better off not doing it at all

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is some what more or less than " lots" which was your first stab at it.
if your quoting me to contradict, sorry express a contary opinion, at least take the trouble to have considet your opinion, beyond " lots" and " some what"

beyond community, which has value, i consider it has a value that apromimate to nothing, at a point when you cant even do compliant partner drills, then what exactly are you learning?

i suspect for novices it has a value less than nothing, lets say minus 10, they will be better off not doing it at all
Maybe re-read my post. I didn't say "lots". I said "far". Which is a reasonably vague term, and not one I find at odds with "somewhat", which is also vague.

Because the level of value is also pretty vague, and will vary depending what someone wants (and gets) from the experience.

If you don't understand the value of working movement, I can't help you.

EDIT: I agree the value goes down for the novice.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
beyond community, which has value, i consider it has...

By consider... do you mean reflect upon? Ponder? Evaluate? Look at? Think on? Support? Mull over?

I wait for you to qualify your statement.... as you have now put it out there......

OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By consider... do you mean reflect upon? Ponder? Evaluate? Look at? Think on? Support? Mull over?

I wait for you to qualify your statement.... as you have now put it out there......
all of those , but support, i havent supported it

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is not a simple question, IMHO. Most everybody is larger, stronger (but likely not as fast) than I am. I will not fight and will not "defend" myself as long as I know what's about to happen and see that it's immanent. Without getting into details I'll say that I can't physically get around that well any longer. I have learned to be a "dirty" fighter and to not wait until the attack is initiated; I want to be the one who is sneaky and inflicts damage that stops any chance of further conflict. I also am armed with a cane when I leave the house and also carry at least one knife. I've been disabled for well over a decade and can't afford to take any chances. But that's just my situation and everyone must adapt to their physical situation in such instances.