Hourly Rate s for privates

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a spin off from another thread if you do privates how much do you charge and what does it detail for the student and do you push it or let it happen on it own?
Terry

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't, but if I did...

Fee would be partially based on location. If there is overhead that has to be added in. $20 - $50 / hour I think would be fair, depending on the level of the person giving them. For a big name you'd be looking at more.

Remember your time, if it is a 1 hour class, it takes you more then 1 hour to prep, teach and all that.

Private lessons should be comparable to hourly fees of other professionals, plumbers, electricians, etc.

What gets taught would depend on what they want. That's the idea behind a private lesson, tailor it to the needs of the student. If that means detailing one thing for the whole hour thats what you do. If it is working general concepts do that.

Do you push it?

Depends on you business model. I think if I where to go to a setup with a goal of making money again I would promote them, it's a good source of income, and good for the student. If they have the money, everyone wins. But if your students can't afford it, I wouldn't push it....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard/read somewhere that the "ideal" price instructors should charge is "half of a month's dues for an hour of your time." I don't know how fessible that is, but I don't think its out of line.

Should you push the fact that have them? I don't think so. But I think you make students aware that you're available & what the price is. As an instructor, you've put a lot of time & effort into your art....& you have to prep especially for this session. You should get paid for it.

My .02.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
This is a spin off from another thread if you do privates how much do you charge and what does it detail for the student

Depending on whether the lesson is a 1/2 hr or full hour, I'd have to agree with Andrew on the $20-$50 price range. I usually like the person to tell me in advance what they'd like to work on. Its their lesson, so whatever they choose is up to them, however, its nice to have an outline of what to teach.

and do you push it or let it happen on it own?
Terry

Both. There have been times when I've been approached regarding lessons, and there have been times when I've seen a student who appears to be struggling with the material. I'd usually suggest a private due to the 1 on 1 attention that they'll be getting.

Mike

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor charges me $15 per half hour, $30 per hour. I have the choice on what I want to work on. I'm not sure if this fee applies to all the newer students.......I am an old student there. He lets students come to him for private lessons- he doesn't require them but he does let everyone know they are available if they choose to go that route.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been to a school that included one private in your monthly tuition and strongly encouraged members to attend it. Another charged for privates, but discouraged them. Another did not offer them at all. I think that the rate depends upon the experience and quality of the instructor. One just starting out may only get $20.00 per 1/2 hour, whereas a Master Instructor may charge hundreds per hour.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i charge $35 for half an hour, with discounts if you buy several lessons at once.

i don't push for lessons. instead, we have tickets for sale in the pro shop: single lessons, packs of five and packs of ten. students can buy a book and then schedule lessons when they feel they need them.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I'm on the high side here, $75/hour or $25/15 minute slot. But I include two 15 minute slots per month for each of my BBC members. They fill up my calender rather quickly, so I rarely charge.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
i charge $35 for half an hour, with discounts if you buy several lessons at once.

i don't push for lessons. instead, we have tickets for sale in the pro shop: single lessons, packs of five and packs of ten. students can buy a book and then schedule lessons when they feel they need them.

That's a great idea! I might just steal that!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just one point here...what you charge? ...may reflect what you think of yourself.

Therefore...if you feel your skills as a teacher and martial artist has alot to offer....charge what you are worth.

Your rank and level of skills will also add to the rate of the fees. (example a 2nd degree may charge $40.00 and hour, maybe a 5th degree $60.00 and hour.)

It is expected to be a very high rate...for a one on one lessons. That person expects to learn more vs, a classroom style of learning.

These classes should be for aleast 1-2 hours or longer,2-4 days a week....just my guess here......Aloha

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
This is a spin off from another thread if you do privates how much do you charge and what does it detail for the student and do you push it or let it happen on it own?
Terry

When I was getting private lessons in karate it cost my parents £15-£40 Per hour, so that is like $20-$60 per hour in america

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We offer them and actually push them as well. Our instructors or sihings get $30 for 30 minutes while my sifu gets more like $60 for 30 minutes. We also offer a discount for several lessons at one and even a group private lesson as well. One thing to keep in mind, call around to your local gyms and see what they charge per session for personal training, you might be surprised. We are teaching a skill so I would at the very least want to be the same as them.

7sm

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I charge $100/hour for students not enrolled at my school, and $50/hour for students enrolled at my school.

R. McLain

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$20 per 1/2 hour or $15 each if you pre-pay for a block of 4 lessons.
We suggest it when students are struggling or they indicate they want to advance more rapidly or learn something not taught in group classes or learn in more detail.
I personally don't push it since i have as many lessons as i can handle per week! :)

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
50 dollars an hour is my fee where others charge up to 125.00 an hour. But In my area 50 dollars an hour is a fare honest price for private instruction.

Latest Discussions