Price tag on MA knowlege?

If you were to put a price tag on your MA knowlege what would it be?

• $10,000 us

• $100,000 us

• $250,000 us

• $500,000 us

• $1,000,000 us

• $10,000,000 us

• not for sale, at any price

• way more than listed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you could somehow take your MA knowlege and box it and If you were offered X ammount of cash for all your knowlege in the Martial Arts, what would that price tag be?

I need to be honest here and say that I could not sell my knowege at any price, it's just a part of whom I have become. I was wondering how many felt the same as I, and who would take the money and start over.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll start off with this statement, I have been doing MA for 43 years and I do it for the love not the money, if I had to put a price tag on my years I would say a dollar. Most of the people I train they are in love with MA and we taech no gain from money. If I had a dollar I could give it to the guy on the corner who needs a drink because you know they are not buying food with it.
Terry

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ironic...

In thinking about it, the moment it is sold to someone, it becomes useless to them, therefore it becomes worthless.

I didn't vote.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd sell it, take the cash and start over, not sure the price :)

But if someone could extract all my martial arts knowledge for say, a million, I could retire and train full time starting over :D

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Ironic...

In thinking about it, the moment it is sold to someone, it becomes useless to them, therefore it becomes worthless.

I didn't vote.

Where I agree, why not vote?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at my age it would be difficult to start over if I had lost my knowledge of TKD. It would be like having amnesia but my body would still be trained, how fast would it come back? No, I wouldn't put a price tag on it. Money has ceased to be important in my life, never thought I would say that, as that is what we all have to work for to exist. But who wants just to exist? Martial arts has put a new facet on my life, a new jewel, and it would be difficult to part with. But unfortunately the older I get, the closer the end seems to be, or how much longer can I practice? So why not sell it now? No, I will keep it until I can't keep it any longer as that is what gives me life. TW

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very difficult to put a pricetag on it. You can certainly charge a fee for lessons, but giving lessons is no guarantee that the student will learn it. Some people never get the knack of it, you could give them 100 lessons and they will be no better. Other people, you could give them two lessons and they will understand far better than the guy who got 100.

I really don't know how to put a pricetag on it, assuming it could all be "downloaded" and assimilated by an individual, all at once. Part of me says that I should be able to retire in comfort, but another part of me says that it should be given away to those who are worthy. But then again, when something is given for free, it is not valued by the receiver. This is in part why I sometimes question whether or not the Arts should be a full time profession. Money gets in the way and it all often suffers.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I was wondering how many felt the same as I, and who would take the money and start over.

I am not quite sure I get what you are saying here. Are you saying that if it was sold off, then you no longer have it yourself? If that's the case, then I don't think any price would be worth it.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
DOH...I voted thinking it was how much I have probably spent... DOH.

Well I dont know... Not for sale.
Probably wouldn't teach it at all as I am not authorized to teach. Nobody but Bapak can allow someone to teach in my art, which is actually a good thing. I can't remember a damn thing until I'm already doing it. Muscle memory > actual memory in my case.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that a student could come into my dojang and learn everything I know for 10,000 dollars...maybe less. I don't charge alot of money for lessons and I don't hold back. The price would depend on how long the student wanted to train with me. Of course, IMO, knowledge of MA and skill are two different things. The only thing that buys a person skill is blood, sweat, and tears.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. It all depends on what we are talking about...knowledge or skill. Do the two go hand in hand? If not, then I'd say that the knowledge is probably pretty cheap. If so, then they are priceless. This whole discussion puts an interesting spin on the story of the old master who just up and sells his belt one day...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An excellent question!

To siphon out all my MA knowledge and leave me with nothing, I'd take the max offered $10m. With that, I'd build a high-tech box under the Victorialand snow where no one could reach, self-powering, self-sufficient, furnished so as to remove all other need for mental and physical stimuli and self-sustaining with no tasks requiring motivation, self-challenge or having difficulty to overcome, solitary, with no danger from predators, no risk and no need for me to ever take another decision.

It'd take that to compensate for taking away the enjoyment, the happiness, the friends, the skill, the enlightenment and the life that my martial art gives to me.

Serious answer? Not for sale. I fear I'd be a captainless ship without it.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Serious answer? Not for sale. I fear I'd be a captainless ship without it.

I haven't been in the arts that long. But the fitness, the discipline, the clarity of thought, the calm...I wouldn't trade it for the world.

A captainless ship? Sounds like a great description to me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted "not for sale, at any price". TKD is too big a part of who I am - if I lost that knowledge, I would lose my focus, my sense of self. It's not worth it.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, given that the falling techniques I learned in Judo saved me from serious injury or worse when I was struck by a car in the mall parking lot, I'd say not for sale.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are some great answers.

The original question was presented by Chief Master Bill Clark (ATA, Mass Training Guru) I was taking a Mass Training seminar back in 2000, and I've been going through some old notes and came across it. The idea was if you could take all your knowledge and experiences in TKD (or any MA), box them up and sell them what is it worth.....and how much have you spent for that investment.

Kinda makes that $10,000+ we have spent, or will spend, a great investment, hu? Holds better value than Microsoft..........

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'd take 500,000, but only if i were allowed to start over and begin studying again.

500 grand would generate enough interest monthly that i would never have to work again. meaning i could train full time all the time, travel all over the world to train, get to take the whole journey over again.

that would be worth the trade off.

and then only if i could keep my martial artist friends.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Anytime something changes your life for the better...is priceless!

Martial art training gives you confidence,physcial growth,endurance,self-defence skills to protect oneself and others,knowledge in dealing with people,leadership training, and so on....

As the years go by....you can feel the development and changes in oneself.....and as all of the above replys...it reflects how much it has made their lives better than before! (many of you mention..the love of your martial art training and what it has done for you!)

Martial art training...in the end, it is priceless...we are forever change for the better because of it..............Aloha (this reply is worth $8.57..thank-you)...for a limited time...it will be free to all..!

Latest Discussions