Hope we're all staying healthy and in good shape during the pandemic

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope we're all staying healthy, taking good precautions, and staying in good shape during the pandemic. Here in the USA the death toll has surpassed 4000 and its estimated to peak at around 240,000. All but the most essential businesses have closed down and that includes dojos. I might consider martial arts essential but not everybody else does, at least not to the extent that dojos remain open, so I hope we're all staying in shape and getting some good training in. I've got a torso bob striking target in my basement so I've been using that for my martial arts workouts during this crisis.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You go, brother.

And PhotonGuy, on an unrelated note, I'd like to point out that you were way ahead of the curve about shaking hands. I don't think I'll ever shake hands at work with anyone ever again.

Thanks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You remember that?

I do, indeed.

And you know, I sometimes have to deal with an island mentality that some younger people have over here, and by young I mean late twenties, early thirties. Some aren't really taking this pandemic seriously. They are lackluster in keeping informed, bring friends to visit older friends of mine by using the excuse "Oh, my friends stay away from anyone who is sick."

When I try to inform them to be more careful, and HOW to be more careful, the response is along the lines "you worry too much". They would still shake hands with complete strangers and not think twice about it.

As cold as it may sound, I don't really care any more if they catch it , succumb to the virus and whatever happens to them happens to them. I just don't want them to infect those that ARE being careful.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You go, brother.

And PhotonGuy, on an unrelated note, I'd like to point out that you were way ahead of the curve about shaking hands. I don't think I'll ever shake hands at work with anyone ever again.

Thanks.

Yeah. Fair point.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope we're all staying healthy, taking good precautions, and staying in good shape during the pandemic. Here in the USA the death toll has surpassed 4000 and its estimated to peak at around 240,000. All but the most essential businesses have closed down and that includes dojos. I might consider martial arts essential but not everybody else does, at least not to the extent that dojos remain open, so I hope we're all staying in shape and getting some good training in. I've got a torso bob striking target in my basement so I've been using that for my martial arts workouts during this crisis.
I've been putting about 2 to 3 hours a day of training. I'm almost back to how I used to train.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As cold as it may sound, I don't really care any more if they catch it , succumb to the virus and whatever happens to them happens to them. I just don't want them to infect those that ARE being careful.
This is me all day with most people in general. I don't know who is taking it seriously and who isn't so I keep that in mind when I see people. When I was going into work. there were 2 people who didn't take it seriously. One was a new young guy who said that everyone was over reacting. Why my brain heard was keep this guy 12 feet away because he probably doing everything that he's not supposed to do, which is bad news for me.

I have some family members who aren't taking it seriously as well. Not sure if they are in denial or if they simply don't think it won't be them. They seem not to have good understanding of just how contagious this stuff really is. It's no where like the flu, or a cold. I think that's where the CDC went wrong. Now I don't hear them compare it to the flu anymore. No one does any of the things we have seen so far, just for the flu. 8,488 deaths in the US, since the original post.

These re the number of cases
upload_2020-4-4_23-14-33.png

These are the number of deaths. By tomorrow 8,488 dead will be inaccurate by more than 500. Some of the Churches in the south are still telling people to come to church.
upload_2020-4-4_23-15-58.png

I don't even visit family who live down the street.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been putting about 2 to 3 hours a day of training. I'm almost back to how I used to train.
Awesome man :).

I've spread out my training a bit nowadays, trying to find the right balance, and also trying not to train in a '7 day' schedule. Trying to cram things like that just doesn't really work.

At the moment it's weights, karate, rest day. Repeat. Rest days I do flexibility/mobility work, yoga or some very light cardio.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do, indeed.

And you know, I sometimes have to deal with an island mentality that some younger people have over here, and by young I mean late twenties, early thirties. Some aren't really taking this pandemic seriously. They are lackluster in keeping informed, bring friends to visit older friends of mine by using the excuse "Oh, my friends stay away from anyone who is sick."

When I try to inform them to be more careful, and HOW to be more careful, the response is along the lines "you worry too much". They would still shake hands with complete strangers and not think twice about it.

Well people are responsible for the choices they make, if they choose to not take this crisis seriously than they will suffer the consequences but you're right in that other people might suffer the consequences too. The thing is, just to avoid other people in general, you want at least six feet of distance between you and other people.

As for shaking hands yes I did say in the past how I don't like shaking hands specifically with men. I remember back when I first said that Dirty Dog implied that I was homophobic because of that. That's a silly assumption to make, to make such an assumption would be to say that all men are gay.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So under ordinary circumstances do you train over 2 to 3 hours every day, seven days a week?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the moment it's weights, karate, rest day. Repeat. Rest days I do flexibility/mobility work, yoga or some very light cardio.
I wish I could use weights, unfortunately during this pandemic the gyms are closed which makes sense but its still a bummer.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well people are responsible for the choices they make, if they choose to not take this crisis seriously than they will suffer the consequences but you're right in that other people might suffer the consequences too. The thing is, just to avoid other people in general, you want at least six feet of distance between you and other people.

As for shaking hands yes I did say in the past how I don't like shaking hands specifically with men. I remember back when I first said that Dirty Dog implied that I was homophobic because of that. That's a silly assumption to make, to make such an assumption would be to say that all men are gay.

I'm pretty sure he was just chewing the fat. But it does remind me of a story.
(But, then, pretty much everything does.)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So under ordinary circumstances do you train over 2 to 3 hours every day, seven days a week?
Yes. almost everyday. Every 5 to 6 days. when I used to teach I would train with students, then train with the adults, then train by myself at the end of the class.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome man :).

I've spread out my training a bit nowadays, trying to find the right balance, and also trying not to train in a '7 day' schedule. Trying to cram things like that just doesn't really work.

It's not as much cramming as one things. I'm not gassing it non-stop for 3 hours there are high intensity pieces and slower pieces. I also make sure that I take any necessary breather to keep me from getting sloppy. Sloppy practice usually results in me getting injured.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not as much cramming as one things. I'm not gassing it non-stop for 3 hours there are high intensity pieces and slower pieces. I also make sure that I take any necessary breather to keep me from getting sloppy. Sloppy practice usually results in me getting injured.

Ah yep sorry I meant moreso for myself, that when I tend to stick to a strict 7 day cycle it often results in me cramming things just to fit into that narrow window, but I like making room to fit in active recovery.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. almost everyday. Every 5 to 6 days. when I used to teach I would train with students, then train with the adults, then train by myself at the end of the class.
Well good for you. Years ago I used to do at least 1000 kicks a day often more, four days a week. I've cut down a bit since then. Now Im doing other drills which involve less in the number of kicks but higher intensity.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee himself might've been proud of you.

Latest Discussions