Holes in MA

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
This came from someone else off of another board:

"I play capoeira and many of the moves we learn are just not effective unless fighting other capoeira arts. We also learn takedowns but are not taught how to handle yourself on the ground. To make up for it i started BJJ. IMO, the downside of going to the ground is vunerability against multiple attackers."
I practice Muay Thai, and believe that, with the exception of total lack of ground game, it is completely solid. Are there holes in your MA?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every martial art has holes. If you really get good at it, you can figure out ways to cover the holes, tho...

Most people train capoeira for the game, not the fight. They are two very different things. You would do things in the game that would get you killed in the fight. It is very important for a budding capoeirista to understand this.

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Every martial art has holes. If you really get good at it, you can figure out ways to cover the holes, tho...

Most people train capoeira for the game, not the fight. They are two very different things. You would do things in the game that would get you killed in the fight. It is very important for a budding capoeirista to understand this.

I was more looking for people to reflect on the areas in which they believe their art to be lacking. . .just to share, not for any real informative purpose. lol

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I will add that capoeira certainly has holes. It has great movement and footwork, amazing kicking ability, and tremendous athletic development. But it has only rudimentary hand techniques and throwing techniques, and is not really designed for grappling at all.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that having a good understanding of ones art is very important. If there is something that you don't understand, its very important to find someone who can provide you with whatever it is that you need help understanding. For quite a long time, I was thinking that Kenpo didn't address the ground as well as it could. After chatting with someone who was able to help me see things in a different light, I had a new understanding of Kenpo on the ground.

Some people will cross train to aid in something that either may be lacking or is preceived to be lacking. At the very least, I feel that it is important to at least cross reference other arts to see how they're doing things.

Does you art address punching, kicking, the clinch and grappling? Does it include weapons? Mult. attackers? IMO, its things like this that make an art complete.

Mike

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
True, Muay Thai doesn't address weapons; I've been trying to find a good Krabi Krabong school.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sikaran has holes in it because ground fighting is not taught enough.
Most people in the art know how to put someone on the ground but very few have studied what to do if you are on the ground and your oppont is on top of you (not standing near by). Just one of those things not basic to the art

Latest Discussions