hitting the wall

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
guys.....help!!

i have hit the wall!
i took all of jan off completely due to work commitments and time cnstraints. i have done 3 very good hard classes sine and practised at home twice since restarting but in class esp under pressure i feel all my moves and techniques are worse that ever. feel like i,m going backwards let alone progressing.for example bong laap strike jum and palm is a big combo i need to perfect but i kkep missing the strike or it dont connect and it throws my whole combinations out!
i know i try too hard and i,m too tense
i know i have to go right back to basics and slow right down which after this email i,m going to do for half hour(ssshhhh.... in work time)

but any suggestions or advice to get me back on track pleeeeeeeze!

matsu

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a WC practioneer, but will add my 2 cents..You took a month off and have had only have 3 classes since coming back?? It might take a little longer to get back in the groove..Ask your Instructor if your moves and tecnhiques are really that bad and to offer his advice...I was off last year with a knee injury and it took more than 3 classes for things to feel right again..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After a period of not participating it just takes time for anybody, have a nice talk to your instructor and geton some type of regular training method once again. You will be back in no time.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
for example bong laap strike jum and palm is a big combo i need to perfect but i kkep missing the strike or it dont connect and it throws my whole combinations out!
I would break the combination down into it's component parts and practise each separately. Once you can do them all well individually, then start piecing them together gradually. Like Drac said, you've only just started again after a long break, your bound to be a bit rusty.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
matsu

calm down m8,i can see you running around like a headless chicken,dont panic.

you trying to rush things again wanting results fast,step back a bit and take a breather.your looking to do everything first time perfect,and its putting yourself under to much pressure.

you will get frustrated often in your training. its all part of the proscess,give in to it more.you have already given yourself the answer.

above all slow down brother :wink2:

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
skinters have we met??? lmao that was/is me!

we were allowed to stay later into the advanced class as there were only a few of them and they needed hands to touch which was cool!
but we did single chi sao but i had only done static before and only about twice but after the disasterous class when we changed partners i opted out to just watch as i was driving myself crazy!!

thanks for the advice guys. somedays i need some perspective and you lot are it!!
big fanx
matsu

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would break the combination down into it's component parts and practise each separately. Once you can do them all well individually, then start piecing them together gradually. Like Drac said, you've only just started again after a long break, your bound to be a bit rusty.

That's damn good advice right there , breaking the technique into bite size pieces is the way to go when having difficulties . Don't stress out about it Matsu it will all start to come back to you mate .

One thing that helped me when I was having trouble performing a new technique is that I would tell myself over and over again that it was easy , this seemed to take a little bit of the pressure off and I could start concentrating on performing the technique instead of dwelling on the anticipation that I would mess it up .

I would also tend to drill the crap out of it almost to the exclusion of everything else as well until I could almost do the technique blind folded and back to front . Another year from now you will do the combination with out even thinking about it and you will look back and wonder why you were worried about it .

The only things I can suggest are to keep practicing the form , also you might try practicing the problem movements at home with your eyes closed and visualise the attack in slow motion and then you do your combination very slowly and with perfect form .

You could also try and practice it with a partner a couple of minutes before the class starts and a couple of minutes at the end if anybody is willing to stay back for five minutes .

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
guys.....help!!

...in class esp under pressure i feel all my moves and techniques are worse that ever. feel like i,m going backwards let alone progressing...

The part quoted above pretty much describes how I've been feeling lately. Don't let it throw you. Look at it like the economy. Everything has ups and downs, but in the long run, if you hang in there, you are bound to improve.

Then again, in the really long run, we become old and useless, then we die.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer

geezer..... you really arent helping mate!!!! lmao

again thank you to all. i am going to actively work on slowing down and making each move a slow deliberate technique!
have been working consistently throughtoutr today even if its just 2 or 3 in a row and back to work!
big fanx
matsu

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not WC and don't know how you train but when I am learing sonething new that has let's say 8 strikes I do it as an 8 count move until I am comfortable. Then I speed it up to a 4 count doing 2 strikes per count, then to a 2 count doing 4 strikes per count. The ideal bieng a 1 count but not easily acheived.
Regards, Don

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then again, in the really long run, we become old and useless, then we die.[/quote]

Crap, I was going to put my two cents worth in but after that comment I think I'll just go hang myself

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow really morbid...so sad...just death everywhere...

Crap, I was going to put my two cents worth in but after that comment I think I'll just go hang myself[/quote]

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Matsu,

I had an 18 month hiatus from Wing Chun, so I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I've found that although the moves are remembered, the execution of them are seriously rusty.

As suggested, I've found slowing the move down and breaking it down into component parts works well. And repetition of the move, slowly helps reawaken that muscle memory. Take your time, ask you sifu questions, get his advice, show him/her what you're doing, ask to be corrected, and as also stated, you'll be back to your normal self in a jiffy. :)

Good luck!

H

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
guys.....help!!

i have hit the wall!
i took all of jan off completely due to work commitments and time cnstraints. i have done 3 very good hard classes sine and practised at home twice since restarting but in class esp under pressure i feel all my moves and techniques are worse that ever. feel like i,m going backwards let alone progressing.for example bong laap strike jum and palm is a big combo i need to perfect but i kkep missing the strike or it dont connect and it throws my whole combinations out!
i know i try too hard and i,m too tense
i know i have to go right back to basics and slow right down which after this email i,m going to do for half hour(ssshhhh.... in work time)

but any suggestions or advice to get me back on track pleeeeeeeze!

matsu

I was wondering, is this a new combo that you've just learned or one you've done before and are just a little "rusty"?
The reason I ask is that I've noticed in training when I get to the next step and learn the next level so to speak in training I often feel like I just got worse. Just when I starting feeling like 'hey, I'm really getting good at this now" then Sifu shows new technique (yes, similar to what I've done before, just adding more moves) it seems like everything just falls apart. And it's really frustrating. You feel like your losing your Wing Chun, so to speak. But, actually you are improving, just learning the next phase of what you're already comfortable with.

If it's just been a long time training and your feeling rusty then the same solution for each, train and put the time in, be patient, it will come. Keep reminding yourself "it will come" take your time and don't get flustered. Be patient with yourself. :)

I would work the movements in the "air" slowly several times to get your body used to moving that way. Try that a couple of times just before you work with your partner. This sometimes helps me refresh the muscle memory so I'm not concentrating so much on how my body supposed to move when I need to focus on feeling my partner and focusing on not getting hit. Drill it in the air a couple of times then have him/her work with you and let your body do it. Try not to "think" too much about what your doing, just do it.
I hope that helps. It helps me sometimes when I'm feeling that way.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea I feel the same way learning the Liang Yi Baguazhang form. Its like similiar to WC in certain areas. But totally different in other aspects. Along with that they are teaching a 24 Yang short form, 42 Yang short form and two sword forms One which is Wudang. Its get kinda of difficult keeping it up with it all. Oh I forgot also they is one Guy who shares alot of Chen and Xing Yi Quan. I enjoy doing the Xing Yi Quan with him.

I was wondering, is this a new combo that you've just learned or one you've done before and are just a little "rusty"?
The reason I ask is that I've noticed in training when I get to the next step and learn the next level so to speak in training I often feel like I just got worse. Just when I starting feeling like 'hey, I'm really getting good at this now" then Sifu shows new technique (yes, similar to what I've done before, just adding more moves) it seems like everything just falls apart. And it's really frustrating. You feel like your losing your Wing Chun, so to speak. But, actually you are improving, just learning the next phase of what you're already comfortable with.

If it's just been a long time training and your feeling rusty then the same solution for each, train and put the time in, be patient, it will come. Keep reminding yourself "it will come" take your time and don't get flustered. Be patient with yourself. :)

I would work the movements in the "air" slowly several times to get your body used to moving that way. Try that a couple of times just before you work with your partner. This sometimes helps me refresh the muscle memory so I'm not concentrating so much on how my body supposed to move when I need to focus on feeling my partner and focusing on not getting hit. Drill it in the air a couple of times then have him/her work with you and let your body do it. Try not to "think" too much about what your doing, just do it.
I hope that helps. It helps me sometimes when I'm feeling that way.

Latest Discussions