hints for over 40 training

H

hatamotoyoshi

I'm sure there are a pile of older martial artists out there,
with lots of good ideas on how to save wear and tear on the old
body while training.
any hints on increasing flexability and strength?
how about some easy at home speed drills.
all information will be greatly appreciated,and duly considered and tried.:asian:
lately for me i feel like i'm just getting loosened up and in the groove and class is over.
i am actually at one of those frustration points where i seem to be losing ground instead of progressing.
Thanks folks!

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
being that I am over 40 also....I use a short high intensity workout that is about 35-45 minutes. These bones and muscles can't go on for much longer than that.*L

What I do is put on a CD that has alot of high speed music. start by jumping rope for 2 min. then hit the bag for a 20 count with one type of punch. then go to 20 count kicks. then the weight bench....then i start all over again with different punches and kicks. then cool down with some forms or katas or some stretches.

OP
G

gman

I am not in my 40's but I did start MA in my 30's. I wasn't flexible or in good shape. I have found that if I stretch and run through some techniques a few times for about an hour before class that I am much more prepared for class time. Also I try to workout some 5 or 6 days a week to help my body adapt to it's new regiment.

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

Gman,
when you say workout is that like in a gym or do you just go down to the rec. room and follow an exercise plan?
i have avoided joining a gym but if needs be...
:D
all the best yoshi

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

Originally posted by Ender
being that I am over 40 also....I use a short high intensity workout that is about 35-45 minutes. These bones and muscles can't go on for much longer than that.*L

What I do is put on a CD that has alot of high speed music. start by jumping rope for 2 min. then hit the bag for a 20 count with one type of punch. then go to 20 count kicks. then the weight bench....then i start all over again with different punches and kicks. then cool down with some forms or katas or some stretches.
I'm o.k. with the heavy bag , but have arthritis in my feet,
so jumping rope is kinda out, do you think 10 min on a stationary bike would do, it would get up the cardio,but the skipping also helps co-ordination.
something i never had a great deal of!:rofl:
thanks for the input , yoshi

OP
D

Disco

I'll just call you "Hat" for short. Being on the edge of 60 I would suggest you focus mainly on stretching. Some Yoga would be very helpful. I personally would not try to over indulge in speed drills. The joints (in general) just can't take the punishment. Granted, there are some who are the exceptions, but time will catch up to them also. I would also suggest a vitamin supplement with additional additives for joint assistance. Depending upon your style / discipline, if it is putting to much stress on your body, you may want to research a softer style or perhaps just focus on the self defense aspects of your style. As much as we may dislike the thought of being forced to curtail certain activities, the time comes when we all just must do that. I can't spar with the young guys anymore (Well I could if I felt I needed a butt whippin), cause the speed and reflexes are still good but not at the level to respond to a young trained fighter. Hope I was of some assistance to you.
:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

I'm a big advocate of trampolines, spend a few minutes on one those things and Whew. It's also a non body concussion instrument to train unlike running. Swimming is another avenue to take to stay in top shape. A few laps in the pool does a body good.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

hey Disco,
i'm so glad to hear from someone still active in the arts at 60!
thanks for the advice on the yoga and supplments.
vitamins sure couldn't hurt. i am training in e.parker kenpo,
and still occassionally spar, but as you said, the 20 year old
students think i'm doing tai chi.
:p
keep those cards and letters coming folks.

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

Proffessor Kenpo,
a trampoline?
Thats something i wouldn't of thought of!
I think theres one of those little round ones around here someplace.
and its bound to be more fun than a stationary bike!
when you practice do you do forms one day and self defenses the next, or just go with what you feel?
thanks yoshi, or Hat ala Disco

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by hatamotoyoshi
Proffessor Kenpo,
a trampoline?
Thats something i wouldn't of thought of!
I think theres one of those little round ones around here someplace.
and its bound to be more fun than a stationary bike!
when you practice do you do forms one day and self defenses the next, or just go with what you feel?
thanks yoshi, or Hat ala Disco

Prefer the big ones to the little ones on the trampoline things but affordability is an issue for most (me included LOL). I practice alot of things everyday, physically and mentally, no set regimen per say. When you're 150' up a tower, which BTW is great excercise and non impact, you think of alot of different ways to make techniques work, even in the air. You also learn to use your environment as weapons to a greater extent. I was explaining that concept yesterday to some of my coworkers about being attacked by a vehicle. I moved myself between the open truck door and the side and had one on the right on the outside of the door and one on the other side. One grabbed me thru the open window and I pinned his hand and dropped, essentially using the car door as the lever. They were enlightened to environmental training forever.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
i always wanted to try yoga..or tai chi...but i always say when i lose enough mobility..then i'll go..*L

OP
G

gman

hatamotoyoshi, I run through forms and techniques. I don't go to a gym. I don't have enough time for that. I run through forms and change the way I do them. Maybe once for power and then once for speed or run through the form multiple times without stopping. It's a good workout. Try it you might find a variation that turns out nice for you. I always stretch first for anywherre from about 30-60 mins. I don't want to hurt these old muscles.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
I'm a big advocate of trampolines, spend a few minutes on one those things and Whew. It's also a non body concussion instrument to train unlike running. Swimming is another avenue to take to stay in top shape. A few laps in the pool does a body good.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

That is something i gotta see! Clyde jumping on a trampoline! :D :asian:
He IS right though. After about 2 minutes on one of those things you WILL be wore out...no matter how good of shape you are in!

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by jeffkyle
That is something i gotta see! Clyde jumping on a trampoline! :D :asian:
He IS right though. After about 2 minutes on one of those things you WILL be wore out...no matter how good of shape you are in!
Unless you're a kid, which is not the case :)

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
i always wanted to try yoga..or tai chi...but i always say when i lose enough mobility..then i'll go..*L

Hmmm.... Why would you wait until you lose something to try and regain it? Why not, instead, spend a little time being proactive and preventing the loss or a least a majority of it?

Just curious... NO offense intended.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86
Hmmm.... Why would you wait until you lose something to try and regain it? Why not, instead, spend a little time being proactive and preventing the loss or a least a majority of it?

Just curious... NO offense intended.

none taken..*s

and you're prolly right. but as humans we tend to put things off and procrastinate.*G

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've found that my flexibility is greatly improved if I stretch throughout the day. I stretch for about 5 minutes in the morning, then when I can grab a minute or two at various times during the day, especially at lunch time, I'll get a couple of quick stretches for the major muscle groups. It's easier to get limber at the dojo after work when I've been at it all day;)
I haven't found a substitue for weights, calisthenics, bagwork, etc. for improving strength and stamina.

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

hey guys been a couple of days since i could get on the 'puter.
damn work keeps getting in the way of my living!:rofl:
thanks g-man i will try to vary the forms and katas,
besides being good exercise, i know i can always use more work on form!!
Prof kenpo, i work as a powerhouse operator so i don't get up towers much, but find climbing up and down ladders to cat walks
a great upper body workout.
as for the tai chi, been looking into that and they tell me there is
2 types (not styles , i guess there is a pile of those, just like all the other arts!
in our local community activities guide they have tai chi,
for exercise, and tai chi for combat, you need to o.k. it with your doctor for the second one, what this about soft internal arts?
in any case the stretching through the day is a big help for old stiff in the wrong place yoshi!:D
thanks for all the input folks.
yoshi:asian:

OP
S

shoshiman

Hi Yoshi,

have you ever tried treating your arthritis with some eastern medicine i.e. acupuncture? worked well for my Mom's arthritic hands. No guarrantees though. Results vary from person to person. And depends on the Doctor you see.

As for your workout, just warm up slooooowly. If you can get to your studio 1 hr before, then you already had a lot of good recommendations so I won't regurgitate them.

Tai Chi is an excellent internal arts. The Chinese has always referred to the internal arts (such as Tai Chi and Chi Qong) as "healing arts". So you may want to give that a shot as well.

Wish you good health and good training

Shoshiman :asian:
PS How's your Sosho coming along? :)

OP
H

hatamotoyoshi

hey shohshiman,i was thinking about trying trad.chinese meds for
the arthritis.
but like most i avoid going to the doctor unless i'm carried there.
trad. or otherwise.
i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and go.
i've noticed when i get to class early and work out with the junior belts that my own class seems to be better,i'm warmed up and
reviewed.
i guess that it takes an hour to get up to speed(for me anyway!)
something i have started is getting up about an hour early and running through my katas especially( sosho)
i'm thinking of moving this outside now that the weather has warmed up to the teens(celsius my U.S. friends).
the tai chi intrigues me ,but i don't want to take any time away from kenpo, which i feel i am already pared down to minimum on!
so i guess it will have to wait.
thanks for the advice, keep on kickin'
yoshi :asian: