Hi

OP
NDNgirl4ever

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from my first lesson. I LOVE it. I'm out of shape, so the warm ups took a lot out of me, but I guess that's a good thing. Sensi and the other students were really nice and patient. I think I'll stick with this, it's great!

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
welcome Sara, you will enjoy this site and martial arts. Once you get started you will be hooked.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kwe a:re Hello again Sarah, Hen Yes I'm First Nations too, Kahnawake Mohawk and Italian. Glad to hear your first lesson went well, most Teachers worth their salt will be patient with students, something I could NEVER do, no patience I'm a growling ogre just ask my daughters ;-)

Do you know what style of Karate you are learning?

How many times a week will you be training? My daughters go twice a week, tho this week and next they need to go 3 to make up for missing last week due to Bronchitis.

Do you have someone at home that can help you practice? If not try to buddy up with someone from the Dojo who is local to you, it tends to help practicing Techniques with someone rather than air training plus you can take turns with Pads for some accuracy training.

O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

OP
NDNgirl4ever

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you know what style of Karate you are learning?
Traditional Okinawan Shorin-Ryu I believe.

How many times a week will you be training? My daughters go twice a week
Twice a week as well.

Do you have someone at home that can help you practice? If not try to buddy up with someone from the Dojo who is local to you, it tends to help practicing Techniques with someone rather than air training plus you can take turns with Pads for some accuracy training.
No, unfortuately I'm the first in my immediate family to take Martial arts. My grandfather was a military policeman, so he knew some basic military style defense, and taught me a couple things, like how to get out of a wrist hold, but he died when I was 10. That's a good idea though, about pairing up with someone to train. After I get to know everyone, I'll think about that. It's a small dojo, and very close by, so I shouldn't have any trouble finding someone who is close by.

Thanks and I hope your daughters feel better!

Welcome to MT, Sarah!Today 02:34 PM

Welcome to MT
Thanks!

OP
NDNgirl4ever

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had my second class today and decided to join the school. I worked on my first kata, and next week my gi will be ordered. I'm getting more and more enthuastic as the days go by. I love karate!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Sarah! :wavey:

Glad to have you here with us

Latest Discussions