Hey guys whaddya think???

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I may have an opportunity to train with a Bujinkan "training group". First let me explain my sichyation: I have a very limited schedule and budget (I know none of you know how that is). The nearest Bujinkan dojo to me is just too far away to fit into my schedule, not to mention that I am already paying for BJJ classes (hence the budjet issue). There is a training group that is somewhat closer to me that may be willing to let me train with them. I have no previous experience in Bujinkan training, but I have been researching it and wanting to join for some time. The instructor is a 4th dan, (he quite willingly gave me the names and ranks of his instructors who gave him his rank, doesn't seem to have ego issues) and he only charges $35 a month (they don't have a dojo so they train at public parks). I would only be training every other Saturday due to my schedule. They say that they are all formal Bujinkan members, and they are under a dojo in Sacramento. Is this a good idea for me, do you think I should take the training if I can get it, or should I stay away from this and wait two years until I can train full time at a dojo with a 10th dan instructor? I would love to hear from anyone on this, but especially people with higher experience levels.

Thanks guys.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It can never hurt to go check them out and do some cross training and see if this is the right path for you.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Allenjp

Check it out.
See if he seems like a teacher for you. I like that he is open about his training to me that speaks alot about someone in a good way.
Maybe someone in the Bujinkan knows the teacher and can vouch for him.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have trained many times with folks in parks, sometimes as instructor and always as a student. Being that you have no training in BBT, I am sure there is a lot the instructor can offer you. It doesn't hurt to find out more about his teacher. Either way, see if he will let you train a class or two for free (most will) to see if you like. Don't be turned off by the fact that he trains in a park and is 4th Dan.

Go for it!
icon14.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that's how many Bujinkan dojos start out, and the mainstay of many people's Bujinkan training is a local training group run by someone who isn't ready or able to start a dojo themselves.

What's there to lose? A couple of Saturdays and $40 bucks? Give it a shot.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to train in a garage or in a park with a small group, eons ago. That is indeed how many start out. Your $ investment and time (every other Sat.) would be well spent as it allows you to "get your feet wet" and decide if you want to continue. All of the Bujinkan people are great. Don't let this opportunity pass by.

llong

White Belt
Reaction score
The sooner you start, the better. Personally, I'd imagine that training in a park is more realistic than training in a dojo.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, llong, it is. And for extra fun, try training on a sandy beach as many of us oldsters did....your footwork suffers and hinders your balance.....good practice for unexpected situations; i.e. not too many life threatening attacks occur on mats.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, llong, it is. And for extra fun, try training on a sandy beach as many of us oldsters did....your footwork suffers and hinders your balance.....good practice for unexpected situations; i.e. not too many life threatening attacks occur on mats.

Good point.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Useful insight from all of you, thank you. The instructor won't be available on a Saturday for a while so I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get to try it out.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've almost always had trained with someone who didn't have a dojo. My first instructor was teaching out of his backyard and or garage(depending on weather.) My current instructor who was my first instructor's teacher before he moved used to run a professional dojo but now prefers to teach at his home in the backyard as well and he's a JuIchi Dan. Not to mention when I attend Dick Severance's seminars in Brookesville is outdoors as well. So it doesn't matter where you learn or teach as long as the instructor is good. To be honest I prefer to train outdoors. My opinion is all....

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've almost always had trained with someone who didn't have a dojo. My first instructor was teaching out of his backyard and or garage(depending on weather.) My current instructor who was my first instructor's teacher before he moved used to run a professional dojo but now prefers to teach at his home in the backyard as well and he's a JuIchi Dan. Not to mention when I attend Dick Severance's seminars in Brookesville is outdoors as well. So it doesn't matter where you learn or teach as long as the instructor is good. To be honest I prefer to train outdoors. My opinion is all....

Though I've been taught Shotokan in dojos my whole life, the outdoor training I did have was awesome.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that's how many Bujinkan dojos start out, and the mainstay of many people's Bujinkan training is a local training group run by someone who isn't ready or able to start a dojo themselves.

I started that way myself 24 years ago.

BTW, if this group is under the direction of someone in the Sacramento area, I probably know the Sacramento person.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

BTW, if this group is under the direction of someone in the Sacramento area, I probably know the Sacramento person.
When I first read that, I kind of wondered if maybe you knew the Sacremento person extremely well... ;)

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score

It's the Antelope Bujinkan Dojo, instructor is a shidoshi named Alex Bushman.
But the training group itself is in my area in San Diego.

Latest Discussions