Hey all!

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Nice site you got here :D I see you're experienced people in karate, so I have a question that you will probably know: What are the requirements to become a Blue and Blue Green Belt at USSD? I have A test next monday, and I'm gonna either be a blue or blue green. Can someone help please?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Being in TKD, I can't really help you with USSD ranks - sorry. Have you asked your instructor or fellow students about the requirements? Even within a particular style, requirements can vary - but unless you think you might be skipping a rank, you'll be testing for whatever rank is next in your style.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'll give you he story. I started karate around 5 and ended around 8-9. I stopped at a Blue-Green belt (And I just started again a month ago), and now I'm testing to decide which one I should get between a white and a blue-green belt. My sensei says he have me a book with all the stuff we have to know, but it's nowhere to be found. Now I'm asking here because more experienced people lurk around and they probably know this stuff. If anyone has a website that could help me, that would be great!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Nice site you got here :D I see you're experienced people in karate, so I have a question that you will probably know: What are the requirements to become a Blue and Blue Green Belt at USSD? I have A test next monday, and I'm gonna either be a blue or blue green. Can someone help please?

Required material to attain Blue Belt: 1-3 Pinan, 1 Kata, DMs 2-9, 12 and 18

Required material to attain Blue/Green: Add 2 Kata and DMs 10 and 15

In our school you would also need to know a certain number of kempo techniques and be to a certain level in sparring as well.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've only learned Pinan 1-2, Kata 1, I learned the DMs, but no one ever taught me Pinan 3 or Kata 2. They said I already knew everything to get a blue belt.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've only learned Pinan 1-2, Kata 1, I learned the DMs, but no one ever taught me Pinan 3 or Kata 2. They said I already knew everything to get a blue belt.

Here's what is expected at our school to attain the listed belt ...

White to attain Yellow: White Belt Kata (not listed in the manual); DM 6
Yellow to attain Orange: Pinan 1; DM 3 and 7
Orange to attain Purple: Pinan 2; Kata 1; DMs 2, 5 and 18
Purple to attain Blue: Pinan 3; DMs 4, 8, 9 and 12
Blue to attain Blue/Green: Kata 2; DMs 10 and 15

Although USSD claims to be a corporate environment so that there are common standards, in reality there are many differences between the schools, so your instructor may not require exactly what we do at our school. However, this is what is listed in the "Student Manual" as well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to Martial Talk!

As for your question. You may want to post, if you already haven't in the Kenpo section. There are a number of people there who could provide you with some feedback. Considering you have just returned to training after what seems like an absence, it may be better to wait a while to test, rather than rush ahead, especially if you're not sure what you need to perform. In addition, your instructor should be the one to decide what belt you're ready for. In all my years, I've never come across an instructor that asked me what belt I wanted to test for.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT....

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to Martial Talk!

As for your question. You may want to post, if you already haven't in the Kenpo section. There are a number of people there who could provide you with some feedback. Considering you have just returned to training after what seems like an absence, it may be better to wait a while to test, rather than rush ahead, especially if you're not sure what you need to perform. In addition, your instructor should be the one to decide what belt you're ready for. In all my years, I've never come across an instructor that asked me what belt I wanted to test for.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome all. :) But what we're doing is testing for a belt betwen blue green and blue, not just blue-green or blue. And we've been training for a month, so I know most of the stuff. But there are these things called like, "Pine tree grows" and "Crouching Tiger" and there's a bunch of those. Are there another name for them (DMs?) and what are the ones I need to know up to a blue green belt?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I would add to become blue/green is the 10 Point Blocking System, and half of the two man fist set is optional.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome all. :) But what we're doing is testing for a belt betwen blue green and blue, not just blue-green or blue. And we've been training for a month, so I know most of the stuff. But there are these things called like, "Pine tree grows" and "Crouching Tiger" and there's a bunch of those. Are there another name for them (DMs?) and what are the ones I need to know up to a blue green belt?

um, huh? what kind of rank is that? in all my years of shaolin kempo i have never heard of such a thing, even with ussd. Um, those named things are called "Kempo Punch Techniques" and it varies from instructor to instructor and school to school.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score

Villari's combo's is where they came from.Thats where mattera learned them from.Welcome.
www.villaristudios.com
www.villari.com

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
um, huh? what kind of rank is that? in all my years of shaolin kempo i have never heard of such a thing, even with ussd. Um, those named things are called "Kempo Punch Techniques" and it varies from instructor to instructor and school to school.

I don't do shaolin kempo, I do American Kempo...Also, is there a place online where I can find out how to do the DMs?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought you said you were with USSD. USSD does not teach American Kenpo, they teach Shaolin Kempo Karate.