Henry Look in Albuquerque.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm hoping to attend some of these sessions:
http://www.lotusdragon.com/PDF/LookFall05.pdf

Sifu Look will be teaching Chi Gong (which doesn't interest me so much), Yang Tai Chi spear (I hope I can find a spear before tomorrow!), Guan-Ping Tai Chi, and Hsing-I. I look forward to learning something about Hsing-I.

I didn't find out about it until today, though, so I hope I don't have trouble registering. If space is limited, I may be out of luck.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'm hoping to attend some of these sessions:
http://www.lotusdragon.com/PDF/LookFall05.pdf

Sifu Look will be teaching Chi Gong (which doesn't interest me so much), Yang Tai Chi spear (I hope I can find a spear before tomorrow!), Guan-Ping Tai Chi, and Hsing-I. I look forward to learning something about Hsing-I.

I didn't find out about it until today, though, so I hope I don't have trouble registering. If space is limited, I may be out of luck.

right-on. Mr. Look, i believe, is from my neck of the woods (san francisco area), so I have seen him around at the UC Berkely tournament (my sifu runs that one with the UC Berkely Wushu Team) in April each year. I have also seen him at the San Francisco Tai Chi Picnic that was held each year in the Golden Gate Park. I think he is probably very good. I believe my sifu has a good deal of respect for him.

If you were nearby, I could make you a very nice spear. Most of the stuff that is available is the junky wushu stuff, but I have been putting together a very nice spear with a good stout, but flexible, waxwood shaft and a heavy steel head. Much more realistic, and improves your training tremendously.

I am also having heavy leather sheath made for the spearhead. My kenpo instructor in Wisconsin, where I grew up, is a leather worker and we have designed a simple but nice sheath so that we can cover it up for safe transportation.

Too bad you aren't closer by, i'd be able to take care of you...except that I am waiting for a new shipment of spearheads right now
icon11.gif
. I'd let you borrow one of my own, tho.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Arnisador, did you ever get a chance to go by & see Jake Burroughs?

Twice. Both times no one was there. On occasion we've seen lights on at night as we drove by, but I think his posted schedule is out of sync with his current schedule. (I mean the one posted on the door at the school, not just on the web site.) I've since made other training arrangements, so I'm no longer looking for a school. Pity, I could walk to his! I'm starting to study Wing Chun now. I still hope to introduce myself to Mr. Burroughs one day, since he lists Modern Arnis as an art he's studied.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a good time at the seminar this weekend. Henry Look is a friendly, outgoing person who is also a very talented martial artist. He asked my name once and used it repeatedly--he made a real effort to learn everyone's names! He looks 20 years younger than his claimed age of 78.

The first session was on I Chuan Chi Gong. I had never done this before so it was educational, though not, in the end, to my interest. We learned the eight positions in standing and moving form, then broke up into two groups. One group explored martial applications, while the other, with Mr. Look's assistant, focused on health. I was able to interact with Mr. Look several times--everyone was--as we did some pushing exercises.

The next session was the Yang Tai Chi spear. Again, Mr. Look took the advanced students, and beginners like me were taught by his (very capable) assistant. Mr. Look checked on us often, though! I really enjoyed this section. We learned perhaps one-third of athe spear form. We practiced this in a nearby park due to the length of the spears and the height of the school's ceiling.

Sunday morning began with Guan-Ping Tai Chi. This session was definitely geared to those who knew the form. Still, I found the form very interesting. It had a very martial feel, and made extensive use of the phoenix-eye fist. It also had a jump kick and a couple of crescent kicks, like I associate with Karate kata--not just the usual front kicks.

The rest of the day was devoted to Hsing-I. Again, in the morning session we were divided into beginner's and advanced sections. I learned a little of one form. This was what I really had come for and I came away with a better idea what Hsing-I is like! I was unable to make the final session that afternoon.

All in all a good time despite it most of it having been oriented toward those with more familiarity with these systems. Mr. Look is very serious about preserving his systems and spoke about organizations he is forming, conferences, ect. He told many stories--this was a great experience itself! I am glad I went to this series of seminars.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Mr. Look, i believe, is from my neck of the woods (san francisco area)

Yup. He spoke about events at UC-Berkeley, and about having started to train the blind in Tai Chi recently, which I think was through Berkeley (but I may be mistaken about that connection).

I borrowed a rattan staff from another instructor to use as a spear, but was able to use an actual spear from the studio for training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yup. He spoke about events at UC-Berkeley, and about having started to train the blind in Tai Chi recently, which I think was through Berkeley (but I may be mistaken about that connection).

I borrowed a rattan staff from another instructor to use as a spear, but was able to use an actual spear from the studio for training.

right-on. sounds like you had a good time, well worth attending.

Latest Discussions