Helping someone of higher rank/experience

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
or vice-verse! how a tech is written is dependant on who has the pen, and
when its written.

variations in footwork, stances, targets, etc often are made to adjust for the body type, agility, and intent of the defender in relation to that of the attacker. in the case of KT's example, and since i was there i can comment, both methods were in keeping with principles and equally effective.

sometimes a decision has to be made relative to power vs speed vs stability which can lead to differences even amoung ma-ist learning from the same instructor. the beauty of an art built on principles is in the individual's adaptation.

pete.
Point here is that no one in the group stood on ceremony because one is a bb and the others, while of the same rank, have differing time in in kenpo. Probably because we're in a small school and we are, for the most part, friends through our training (some from the neighborhood, too.)

Ego should not stand in the way of learning, in my opinion. KT

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Probably because we're in a small school and we are, for the most part, friends through our training (some from the neighborhood, too.)

or, maybe because we are encouraged to question, work things through, and find why and how things work...
or, because we don't have a universal as-written description that would make one "right", and conversely, one "wrong"...
or, maybe that we are just open minded and able to admit to ourselves we have more to learn by experimenting than by rejecting what may be different...

and friendship doesn't hurt either!

pete

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can't say for sure. Right now I'm a sponge to my sensei. However, I think one may want to pose their concern in form of a question so as to not appear disrespectful. I think "the way" (whatever way that may be) needs to always be challenged to ensure it is still "the way." However in asking one may surprised that those with more experience will usually be better qualified and correct me on the issue. For that reason I would pose my concern as a question to not get blasted with too much embarrassment.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
or, maybe because we are encouraged to question, work things through, and find why and how things work...
or, because we don't have a universal as-written description that would make one "right", and conversely, one "wrong"...
or, maybe that we are just open minded and able to admit to ourselves we have more to learn by experimenting than by rejecting what may be different...

and friendship doesn't hurt either!

pete
I like your post pete, sounds like we train in very similar schools.

I

Insedia_Cantharis

I voted that I have my own eyes and mind, but then, most schools arent like ours, and I'm aware of that.our school doesn't use rank, so the only ranked person is the instructor. And many people put up their "What if's" .

To be honest, it shouldn't matter, as long as you are sure about the advice you are giving. If it helps, why would anyone care?

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I (Red Belt) have given tips etc... to some Black Belts on occasion and they usually take it very well, knowing I have actually been there many years longer than them and have trained in different styles.

J

jaymo

i don't because at my old school we weren't allowed to do that--it was disrespectful. at my new school it's a little different, everyone is more relaxed and wants to help each other. i've had plenty of feedback from lower ranking belts, but to this day i personally will NOT say anything to a higher belt unless i'm asked, and that has never happened.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I ticked the 'Never unless they ask for it' box. I will offer advice not whenever I think it is needed, but whenever I think it will be well recieved. A lot of people take any kind of criticism as a put-down or a personal attack, especially if it from someone perceived as their inferior in something.

If offering advice, or correcting a technique is going to garner ill will, then I just leave it alone. If I know it will be taken well, then I will offer it.

P

pakua

There's an old saying along the lines of You don't have to be a carpenter to recognise a wobbly table.

Anyone might be able to recognise a fault in someone's work- especially when one's new, one is perhaps more aware of the basics because that's all one knows.... Motorists of long standing have who knows how many bad habits which a learner driver might notice because the learner's being drilled on exactly those techniques which the other has a bad habit in. A senior MA-ist might have lost sight of some simple things- posture etc maybe- that a noobie might notice.

In an adult educational setting, there is supposed to be an atmosphere of mutual learning and help. Of course, the trick is to figure out how to help without being seen as a smartass.

And anyhow, since I'm an 83rd Dan in Pac-Man-Do from Dans-R-Us-Dojo, you'all had better pay attention.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My sensei is unstoppable in the dojo, can do anything. Now outside of the dojo he is forgetfull and naive. that is where I and I few others step in. We'll give him advice on advertisement and th logistics of running a school. (Tuition, uniforms, weapions, patches, youth classes, etc)

he way I look at it, its more of a team effort and its not all up to the sensei to do the teaching, because the true artist never stops learning.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
as long as it is give respectfully, and you have experiance in the area I don't feel there is a problem. As long as you are willing to acept critisism (sp?) i feel you should be able to assist others (even of a higher rank, within reason white/yellow, orange/green, etc)

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Insedia_Cantharis said:
To be honest, it shouldn't matter, as long as you are sure about the advice you are giving. If it helps, why would anyone care?
Because ppl have a need to save face and preserve dignity. If I really respected a person, I would wait until they asked for the feedback, or would usually at max try to spark a line of conversation that would get them to ask a question I could answer with the advice I wanted to give them.

For example my secuirty instructor is about 10 yrs older than I am and has a huge amount of hard core experience, skill and similar intellect and psychology. He calls himself grumpy smurf though I can see ( besides the new shape his head has taken on) that he's sincerely pissed and likely feels quite helpless to control what he intimately sees daily go on in society, like the rampant drub abuse scenario, when many offenders are the same age as his 14 yr old daughter, or perfectly nice / lawabiding ppl when not under the influence.
I see it in the guys eyes and as a result of his helpness he's suffers personally. I have studied varied branches of behavioural science myself and I would love to give him a perspective on it and advise him to meditate his grief out, but unless I could braoch the topic it gently having him interact openly in an exchange, .......I wouldn't do it. And same applies to any one else I respect. ( like my fat friends and being better off keeping my nutritional lectures to myself ....) Give it a shot if you like, but
no one likes dogma, so procede with care.

Blooming Lotus

Latest Discussions