Help out beginer

warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
I've just started training muaythai and had a couple of lessons
just wanted any advice or tips you have to offer thanks.

Reaction score
Hi
I've just started training muaythai and had a couple of lessons
just wanted any advice or tips you have to offer thanks.

hi , welcome to the art , shadow boxing is exelent training and is underated my a lot of people , but it is well worth doing.

and when you start , dont go for power , seeing all the other fighters puting power into techniques can sometimes make you feel weak as a beginer , so u put more power into it , however , you should always start with getting the techniques right , the power will come later. putting power into techniques as a beginer may cause some habits which will be hard to stop later on , so be patient.

and dont expect to be an exelent fighter over night , be patient , and dont get bored , set yourself a goal. get the basic techniques right before going on to the more advanced ones ,

practice your punches in front of a mirror after you have the hang of them , you can usualy tell weather your doing it wrong this way , and you can work on getting rid of any habits that make the technique weaker etc.

and above all , enjoy yourself!

hope i helped

chis

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chris and Hand Sword said it all...Read and Heed..

OP
W

warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
Can anybody give me any tips or pictures on the proper muay thai boxing guard and stance.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can anybody give me any tips or pictures on the proper muay thai boxing guard and stance.

honestly - that is the job of your teacher at the gym, but there are some basic do's and don'ts that we can discuss here if you'd like. I don't have any pics to post, but why don't you start by telling us what you already know to do. Where do you keep your hands? Elbows? how is your weight distributed on your feet?

Maybe some of us can help you tweek it.

OP
W

warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
So far my trainer has taught me the following on the mt guard:
Keep elbows tucked in to protect ribs from strikes
Evenly distribute weight on both feet
hands up to protect chin
head tucked into shoulder to protect chin.

Just trying to perfect it, So if you have any other tips

Reaction score
So far my trainer has taught me the following on the mt guard:
Keep elbows tucked in to protect ribs from strikes
Evenly distribute weight on both feet
hands up to protect chin
head tucked into shoulder to protect chin.

Just trying to perfect it, So if you have any other tips

and keep your legs bent

chris

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep your shoulders and hands relaxed while in the guard. You use up a ton of energy just holding up your arms otherwise.

Also, keep your chin down, but your eyes up. Focus on the upper chest area of your opponent, but keep your eyes wide to take in th ewhole body. Ignore your oppenets face (some disagree with me on this) and eyes and instead focus on what his body is doing.

Even balance is good, but stay on your toes and keep moving. Avoid getting flat footed and always look to move off line or in a circular movement when attacking or defending - never back straight up.

we used to have a little mantra that went like this

head down
hands up,
eyes forward
chin tucked
elbows in
back straight
knees bent
feet straight
relax

Latest Discussions