help with "Slipping" punches

BBaylis1

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a southpaw and am having some difficultly slipping punches to my left. I think this is a problem for me primarily because I am still getting used to the MT fighting stance and find it way easier to shift my weight to my lead foot to close the distance to my opponent. I didnt know if anyone could provide me with any insight on this or know kind of footwork or training that could be beneficial in this area. Hopefully this made sense

Thanks

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dropping your left foot up to 4:30 will move your body off the line of attack and put you closer to your opponent.
Sean

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to say what is going wrong without seeing you do it, Best bet would be too ask someone that knows what they are doing and can see you. Apart from that work in front of a mirror slowly. Oh, and watch out slipping jabs to the left against a orthodox fighter, you may slip into a hard right ;)

OP
B

BBaylis1

White Belt
Reaction score
yeah im pretty well trained not to slip to the inside of any fighter...always to their back...thanks for the reply and advice

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hmm... slippin punches? Are you talking in terms of counter-punching? Or just the slip alone?

Also are you practicing Muay Thai or Kickboxing?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Check with your Coach/Kru. Any good Kru or Coach will have many slipping drills. Mike Tyson used to work the Maize Pendulum Ball/Bag, for head slipping. There are different slips, side to side, front to back, clockwise-counterclockwise, an arc like a frown and an arc like a smile, full body slips and just head slips. Even the Filipinos use a circle and a figure 8 as a head slip. Look into what you have access to learn from a personal source. Good luck in finding the help you desire. Theirs a lot of info out there. PEACE