Help Need with a Theme

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am giving a self-defense seminar on Feb. 23rd and am trying to come up with a curriculum theme.
During the summer I did one called "Summer Safe" and focused on safety while on vacation. In December I did one called "Holiday Safety" and covered tips one would use while shopping.
What would I focus on in mid February? What would I call it?
Ideas?

AoG

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about looking out for you love ones. It is Valentine anyway.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about looking out for you love ones. It is Valentine anyway.

I was thinking of this, or perhaps dating safety. With the growth in internet dating services, women (especially - although men too) are meeting potential significant others after having only chatted on-line, where it's easier to lie than in person or on the phone.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking of this, or perhaps dating safety. With the growth in internet dating services, women (especially - although men too) are meeting potential significant others after having only chatted on-line, where it's easier to lie than in person or on the phone.

That is a great ideal

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure enough! Everyone will wish to get a date for the Valentine's festivities, and they need to be aware of techniques to make sure that they are not taken advantage of. Maybe more than just defenses against a hold, and so on.

You know...

Meet your potential date partner at a coffee house, with a friend, too.

Or...

Have a friend spy the license plate number, just in case you need to report a potential kidnapping.

Always watch your drink. Do not leave your drink just sitting there and go off to the bathroom or anything. They might put some drug in there. Also, purchase your own drink, yourself. Do not ingest any foodstuffs or drink that you have not confirmed safe (from the "get-go") and kept it that way.

Have the "special buddy" on speed dial in the cell phone.

If you are accosted in a car, lay on the horn and open your door, yelling "Fire".

There must be a lot of good information that can be published about this. This is a good idea!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great idea, Kacey! Exactly what I was thinking.

I would think that very close quarters self defense would be useful as well. A Date Rape defense deal.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Those things fit in with what I was going to cover, but does anyone have an idea for a catch, but not too corny, title for the class?

AoG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw, hell...

Looking for love in all the wrong places...

Looking for Mr/Miss Right...

How not to become a teen angel...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am giving a self-defense seminar on Feb. 23rd and am trying to come up with a curriculum theme.
During the summer I did one called "Summer Safe" and focused on safety while on vacation. In December I did one called "Holiday Safety" and covered tips one would use while shopping.
What would I focus on in mid February? What would I call it?
Ideas?

AoG
ok, 'safe in life, and aware in life as in love.' basically look at say 10 to 12 good basic techniques that are good in defense and work on awareness and alertness ..
last one we did we had the ladies and few men go out and look in a major department store parking lot at who they would choose for attack and why and where. then asked then why they chose how they did .. and how they would avoid the same kind of thing. avoidance and awareness is as important as technique...

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I have done and am happy with is show 3 simple hand strikes and 2 kicks. Then, I show several defensive techniques using only those 5 moves.
I always remind myself that very few of these participants will ever take another SD class, so I want it simple and memorable.

AoG

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, Valentines Day is in Feb so maybe some martial art seminar dealing with love. Maybe you could title your seminar "how to defend your boyfriend/girlfriend if you get attacked (mugged) while on a date."
Or something along those lines.

Latest Discussions