martial arts symbol

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hey does any one have the kanji or symobols for martial arts? just wondering cause want to put it on my awards and can't find it online all i can find is the karate-do kanji

thanks

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have a scan of what you are trying to read? I use this site for most of my chinese translation http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
This is another good one:
http://zhongwen.com/

As Kanji is the Japanese form of Chinese, it should be fairly accurate, although I will warn you....reading Chinese is NOT EASY. Since there is really no alphabet and it is completely symbol based....its tough. There are a few very knowledgeable members here who may be able to do a direct translation if you can get a scan of the documents.

Now if it is Korean....NO PROBLEM! Bring it on, I can do that one for you!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Korean what? Do you need a Korean translation site or would you like some words translated in Hangul?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
武道  budo

武術 bujutsu / wushu

空手道 karatedo

拳法 kempo

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting trivia....in case it comes up, there are two ways to write Karate do in Kanji/Hanja

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
武 bu        道 do

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The symbol for "Bu" is the chinese character called Wu, which is also translated to Moo in Korean.

I know very little about chinese characters, but I know that they mean many many different things depending on the other symbols that they are paired with. In this context, what does that symbol mean?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In this context, what does that symbol mean?

what a question!- i don't think i can answer easily. ultimately i think the bu is a way of life as well as a philosophy.

bu=martial, the ability to put an end to the fighting.
do=way or path

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
武術 - Bujutsu = Martial Arts

Bu = Martial
Jutsu = Art

That's the Japanese translation of the Chinese Kanji. I don't know what the Korean translation of the Kanji is but I'd assume the Kanji would be the same. Both the Japanese & Koreans "borrowed" the Chinese system of symbol based writing called Kanji.

_Don Flatt

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just be careful when choosing especially if you are looking at combining symbols etc as the founder of Go Kan Ryu (a frighteningly successful mcdojo founded in Australia) didn't research his Kanji very well and the combination translates as the school of rape.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't know if this helps or not.

Wu shu/martial arts

Attachments

• $martialarts.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 108