help me choose between these 2 styles of MA

jwmims

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have narrowed my search for a MA school,one is seibukan jujutsu and yip man style wing chun kung fu,both seem very good,and i like both teachers,i am wanting to
learn realistic self defence.I dont know which school is the best for me,i have a boxing background,in high school golden gloves,and 6 months of japanese karate.I think i have pretty good striking skills.
Anyone have any input?I would love to hear it.
thanks,
james

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, jujitsu and wing chun are very very different methods and approach combat in very different ways. so....which approach to combat appeals more to you? Do you prefer joint locks and breaks and restraining techniques and sweeps and takedowns and grappling on the ground? Or do you prefer punching and elbowing and low kicks?

OP
J

jwmims

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
really i would love to do both

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
time management.

that may work for a while, but you will probably eventually find that in order to really develop you need to focus on one.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
By all means, do both.

I practice Wing Chun currently, but I would jump at a chance to do Japanese Jujutsu.

They're different enough that it shouldn't be detrimental to train both.

In the end, you may wind up liking one more than the other, and choose to focus on that - but even so, better to have experienced both and found which one you prefer from experience.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Flying Crain, I think you need to decide which method is more natural or appeals to you more. I would start with that and latter if you wish you can take up the other one.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Training two arts at the same time works if you don't have other obligations. Learning one MA well before you start another will serve you better though.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would lean towards the jujutsu, since grapply types tend to take up striking better than vice-versa, and you already have a base in striking. I don't know anything about the style, but having access to hakko-ryu (assuming it's part of the syllabus) is pretty cool.

-Mark

Latest Discussions