help looking 4 a lethwei gym

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ask tradrockrat or jks. I asked same question on this forum, let me check if I can find it.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=694079&postcount=5
I'm sure there are lots of kickboxing and muay thai schools on the West Coast, but I'm only aware of the one school that teaches Bando. I'm not aware of anyone really teaching only lethwei in the US; doesn't mean there's not someone, and it definitely doesn't mean that some Bando clubs don't focus on kickboxing/hard style... just that I'm not aware of a lethwei school.

Is there a particular reason you're so focused on learning lethwei?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tech. is so much better harder striks
Huh?

Not at all sure what you're meaning to say here...

Lethwei is simply one take on how to bash your body's weapons against another person. It's one nation/people's take on combative sport... It's not inherently superior to muay thai (in fact, many forms of the two are closely related, which isn't surprising given geography...), or anything else.

Have you trained previously in lethwei? If so, perhaps your previous instructors can advise you who to contact in California.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lethwei is no "tougher" than M.T. - just a different take on a similar philosophy of sport fighting.

As I was coming up through Bando, we often went to M.T. gyms to get in the training time we needed to get good at Lethwei because there were no available Lethwei schools. We would train in M.T. and then come back to our instructor to train in Lethwei specific techniques. But there were only a few of us and we needed to experience different fighters than just the 3-5 of us training at any given time. I'm a huge advocate of M.T.

If you want to bash, any good M.T. school will serve your purpose, and be much easier to find.

RRJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I see that nikecrooks was looking for a lethwei gym. I don't know if you found one in southern CA. What I can tell you is that husband trained and taught Bando for many years. He no longer has a gym but he may consider training privately if there are a few people interested. He holds a certificate from the American Bando Association as a Black Belt in the system, and is an awesome teacher. If you'd like to reach him, e-mail at: [email protected] Hope this helps:)

Latest Discussions