Hello from SW VA

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I am in SE Michigan, but I'm sure there are many folks in your area.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Ohio here, but I visit family in Blacksburg regularly. I know there is a Tang Soo Do school somewhere around there.

OP
Z

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. It seems there is such a lack of interest in martial arts these days, besides MMA. Much more enthusiasm in decades pass. More of an appreciation of the "holistic" aspect of martial arts. I know realistic defense is priority no#1, but there are so many other benefits as well. I guess I'm just "old"fashioned in that respect, lol.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are just so many options for folks these days. The reality is that marketing/popularity sells. 20-40 years ago, it was traditional styles. Now it's hybrid/sport oriented styles. I grew up in a small rural area of WV, and we only had one option; Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do/ Tae Kwon Do.

OP
Z

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are just so many options for folks these days. The reality is that marketing/popularity sells. 20-40 years ago, it was traditional styles. Now it's hybrid/sport oriented styles. I grew up in a small rural area of WV, and we only had one option; Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do/ Tae Kwon Do.
Rural WV, beautiful country.

BlkTaco47

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello! We moved up there for work a few years back from Richmond. While there, I studied Hsing-i at the White Tiger school with Ed Hampton, great guy.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! From Georgia originally but lived in Va. (Charlottesville) for 10 years before moving to Maine 3 years ago.

OP
Z

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello! We moved up there for work a few years back from Richmond. While there, I studied Hsing-i at the White Tiger school with Ed Hampton, great guy.
Hsing-I sound like a cool style. I have much interest in the internal arts.

BlkTaco47

White Belt
Reaction score
Hsing-I sound like a cool style. I have much interest in the internal arts.
Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've studied and competed with many styles since about 1980. Studied VT for a long time and added in the hsing-i training and that one added a lot of power to VT. The power generation used in the internal arts weren't taught in the other styles I've studied.

OP
Z

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've studied and competed with many styles since about 1980. Studied VT for a long time and added in the hsing-i training and that one added a lot of power to VT. The power generation used in the internal arts weren't taught in the other styles I've studied.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been involved in the arts since mid 80s. Always been drawn to traditional southern Chinese systems, and similar arts. Have respect and interest for most all arts. As I've got older, tai chi chuan and other type disciplines seem much more appealing.

Latest Discussions