Hello from Somewhere

BigMike

White Belt
Reaction score
I was surfing for Kenpo stuff and came across this site, looked like the type of conversations I could add to my web surfing rounds. So here's me:

Started in Shotokan about 10 years ago with Sensei Steve Beck in California. Did a couple of tournaments, even won my division in one. A couple of years after that I moved to Vegas and got into Mr. Ozawa's dojo there. I got my green belt at that dojo, but never had the opportunity to really meet the man before he died.

Moved to Seattle, hurt myself in Shotokan class one day. A couple months on crutches let me see the Kenpo class working in the back room. I tried it out and stayed for the next 3 years. Got to Purple with Mr. Todd Durgan and almost to blue, but circumstances dictated I move to Alabama.

I've tried a class or two with several schools around here. No Kenpo to be had locally, no Shotokan though there is a Shorin-ryu place a little northwest of Huntsville. I've found a place that offers Escrima at a time I can take it and, always having wanted to do stick-fighting, I'm about to go try it out.

I based my nickname on a funny (to me) Kenpo memory. A guy near my height but less than half my weight was trying to do Shielding Hammer on me and couldn't nail the ending. He couldn't move me and was having a very hard time shooting out my leg. Mr. Durgan sort of shrugged and said 'hey, big guys have certain advantages." It was funny for a few seconds until he demonstrated it again, on me, successfully moving me about 6 feet.

Big Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT Big Mike...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay!:)

Mike

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome BigMike, any relation to our BigNick? :D

Hope you enjoy the forum! :wavey:

OP
B

BigMike

White Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Welcome BigMike, any relation to our BigNick? :D

No, didn't know there was a BigNick. So much for my shot at an original name, eh? :)

Mike

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Greetings...my Dad used to go by "Big Mike" until my older brother ("Little Mike") grew half a head taller than him...then it was more confusing...

Kenpsy7

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Mike. I noticed that you studied with Todd Durgan for a while. He is a good friend of mine and a fellow student of Mr. Asa Rainey. As a matter of fact I will be going out to visit him at his Kenpo school tonight. I'll tell him that Big Mike is doing fine...Respectfully Wade Davis
P.S.Welcome to the Forum!!

Latest Discussions