Hello from IMA / Self Defense guy

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looks like a great forum, I notice there may be some RSF crossover!

Anyhow, briefly about me--I now specialize in using/teaching the internal arts for combat/self-defense (or "counter offensive tactics") .

I look forward to good discussions with people from a vast array of experience and diverse backgrounds.

Additionally I am located in West LA, and am open to making friends, exchanging knowledge and helping build one anthers skill-set's.

Best

Gary Romel

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome.

Not sure what to understand of a term "internal self defense"

OP
G

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you all for the welcomes

To answer ricksters question "Not sure what to understand of a term "internal self defense"--the term was -internal arts , which are generally considered tai chi chuan, xingyi chuan, baguazhang, and liu he ba fa ...

Perhaps you meant to ask what The definition of "internal" is. That is of course highly debated, "Qi" and all that mythology. Mostly the arts can be distinguished by the way they move and generate power --and interact with their opponents. Those topics are also all debatable , there is already in internal arts forum here. You could peruse that for some good insight I'm sure.

Best

G

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I understand what are the "internal arts".

I wanted a clarification of "internal arts for combat/self defense"

The idea of separation of art per;

Internal/External
Hard/Soft

Is a paradox whenever there is the sensible application of actual combat/defense has to be considered.

In other words, combat/defense has no distinction of application (Internal/External...Hard/Soft) when your **** is on the line in a real life situation

IMHO with Utmost Respect-

R

OP
G

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I understand what are the "internal arts".

R

I was simply being specific as to my type of practice, because statistically "Internal" artists (esp. Tai Chi) do not focus on combat application.

The idea of separation of art per;

Internal/External
Hard/Soft

Is a paradox whenever there is the sensible application of actual combat/defense has to be considered.

In other words, combat/defense has no distinction of application (Internal/External...Hard/Soft) when your **** is on the line in a real life situation

IMHO with Utmost Respect-

R

I agree to a very large extent that the separation between the two (external/internal) is arbitrary. But, when your **** is on the line, that is when the the type of training you have matters the most. You should train like you fight, and fight like you train as the old adage goes.

best,

G

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was simply being specific as to my type of practice, because statistically "Internal" artists (esp. Tai Chi) do not focus on combat application.
That said, I was referring for clarification of your opening post statement thus;

I now specialize in using/teaching the internal arts for combat/self-defense (or "counter offensive tactics") .

^^^To which I had replied-

WHICH, makes me reiterate:
from your post
-I now specialize in using/teaching the internal arts for combat/self-defense (or "counter offensive tactics") .
In other words, what to you mean you specialize in using/teaching internal arts for combat/self-defense (or "counter offensive tactics") ?

I agree to a very large extent that the separation between the two (external/internal) is arbitrary. But, when your **** is on the line, that is when the the type of training you have matters the most. You should train like you fight, and fight like you train as the old adage goes.
But for the issue/subject of self defense, half of the battle is physical application.
The other half, as some here put it to terms, is the "soft skills"

The bottom line, you can train the best, physical fighting method for fisticuffs, been when you use poor judgment or poor mental skills (i,e,-"soft skills"), all of that training goes out the window.

I've observed it first hand with a lot of people I've known with good defense/fighting skills.
In other words, they did not prevail, failing to use "soft skills"

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/t8315-what-is-a-soft-skill?highlight=soft+skill

OP
G

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score

^^^To which I had replied-

I never used the term "internal self-defense" just to clarify.

WHICH, makes me reiterate:
from your post
-I now specialize in using/teaching the internal arts for combat/self-defense (or "counter offensive tactics") .
In other words, what to you mean you specialize in using/teaching internal arts for combat/self-defense (or "counter offensive tactics") ?

I not sure how my description was nonspecific? Is there a more speicific question? I named a group of arts and narrowed it down my focus. Many in tai chi for example want health or just enjoy push hands and form practice for example.

But for the issue/subject of self defense, half of the battle is physical application.
The other half, as some here put it to terms, is the "soft skills"

The bottom line, you can train the best, physical fighting method for fisticuffs, been when you use poor judgment or poor mental skills (i,e,-"soft skills"), all of that training goes out the window.

I've observed it first hand with a lot of people I've known with good defense/fighting skills.
In other words, they did not prevail, failing to use "soft skills"

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/t8315-what-is-a-soft-skill?highlight=soft+skill

It sounds like your basically saying its mind and body? of course it's both. I just dislike Distinguishing so generally with terms like "hard" and "soft", they are vague for training and discussion purposes. Also they have been used in a multitude of definitions and contexts throughtout many arts over many years, further convelutng the discussion.

Your body has to be trained in the desired method of moving and dealing reciving, redirecting, and applying force. And of course your mind and body has to produce such methods or strategies under dynamic condions, force and adrenal stress et al, flight, flight, or freeze has to be worked, the OODA loop improved ect.

Someone in the thread linked mentioned "soft" skills included basically avoidance and awareness. On a broad scale this is certainly true if you mean " soft" as anything mental. But academically , and in execution: threat assessment, de-escalation, evasion, ect involve not exactly the same mental process behind an actual h2h engagement. Situational awareness training and all the foregoing are vital no doubt.

Best

Gary

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro.

Latest Discussions