heavy metal thread, part 2

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
anyone into underground metal should check out the new wolves in the throne room album immediately.

the album only has 2 tracks totaling 25 minutes, but it is amazing.

on the doom side of things, i can't stop listening to mael mordha lately. adding irish whistle to doom metal was pretty brilliant imo, & the guy can sing besides. great musicians.

another doom band i've really been into lately is electric wizard. dunwich is a great track, & here's a pretty cool video that combines it with the movie:

sorry i don't know how to embed.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOVgVNx_gk[ /yt]

The above should work (without the spaces of course) according to Cap'n Bob but I have found that, for me at least, it does not :confused:.

As to the 'Wolves' track, despite the appalling recording quality it was not at all bad. For me a bit too much 'Smiths smooch with the Cure on the way to a Damned concert' but far superior to the death/thrash/black metal cacophany I was expecting - never judge a band by their name it seems :eek:.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOVgVNx_gk[ /yt]

The above should work (without the spaces of course) according to Cap'n Bob but I have found that, for me at least, it does not :confused:.

As to the 'Wolves' track, despite the appalling recording quality it was not at all bad. For me a bit too much 'Smiths smooch with the Cure on the way to a Damned concert' but far superior to the death/thrash/black metal cacophany I was expecting - never judge a band by their name it seems :eek:.
all you need is this part ZvOVgVNx_gk between the brackets. And the spaces need to be removed.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh how I long for the simpler days when Sabbath were Heavy Rock, Zeppelin were Rock, Whitesnake were Rhythm and Blues and Motorhead were Heavy Metal. Then we had NWOBHM with the likes of Saxon and Def Leppard (and "Toad and the Wet Sprocket" :D).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've got extra code embedding in there somehow. try typing it up in notepad and pasting it in here.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh how I long for the simpler days when Sabbath were Heavy Rock, Zeppelin were Rock, Whitesnake were Rhythm and Blues and Motorhead were Heavy Metal. Then we had NWOBHM with the likes of Saxon and Def Leppard (and "Toad and the Wet Sprocket" :D).

Dude, I'm all about NWOBHM. I was even listening to Tygers Of Pan Tang today, John Sykes rules.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dude, I'm all about NWOBHM. I was even listening to Tygers Of Pan Tang today, John Sykes rules.

I never saw him play with the Tygers but I did see him with Thin Lizzie at the Cornwall Colleseum in about 1981 (I think).

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've got extra code embedding in there somehow. try typing it up in notepad and pasting it in here.

The stripped Notepad version manages to put a blank 'screen' into the post but still fails to load the clip?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D In the words of Windows95 {electronic fanfare} - a bumpy road but with the appropriate guidance and the mighty power of Notepad success was achieved. My thanks, good sir :tup:.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never saw him play with the Tygers but I did see him with Thin Lizzie at the Cornwall Colleseum in about 1981 (I think).

I never saw him with Tygers either (I'm just 28 dammit) but I have the record. I've seen him solo doing the Thin Lizzy show as well as Whitesnake and Blue Murder material ... actually there's a live album of his from Japan that's pretty much all Whitesnake.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is just for you Suke :D :D

[yt]mtGU00po08[/yt]

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey suk, what has 9 arms & sucks?

def leppard!

my good man, you're not seriously considering def leppard as part of the NWOBM are you? let's see, ozzy, judas priest, iron maiden...def leppard?

jf

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Er, I was there :D. Def Leppard were part of it, as were other bands we haven't yet mentioned, like Magnum. Terms appear to have changed their meaning over the past three decades and in their transition over the Atlantic :).

Ozzy was most certainly not part of it - he may be the Prince of Darkness to many but, to old school British rockers, he's the Prince of Sell Out! Thankfully, Sabbath did a number of good albums after he slunk off to Yankee Land - which is because the true musicians remained. He has of course redeemed himself in many ways by the simple act of not actually being dead yet :lol:.

Carol, the embed for the excellent Dream Warriors appears to be suffering from failure? Luckily, I tracked the code back to YouTube via Google :D.

[yt]mtGU00po08[/yt]

And one of my favourite instrumentals:

[yt]MRJZGMbFj0[/yt]

And the track by Def Leppard that justifies their existence to me:

[yt]gf2y3ZKX5iU[/yt]

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hey suk, what has 9 arms & sucks?

def leppard!

my good man, you're not seriously considering def leppard as part of the NWOBM are you? let's see, ozzy, judas priest, iron maiden...def leppard?

jf
I was never big on Def Leppard and for me NWOBM will always have its place and but right now I personally am more interested in the *legacy* it has left. I mean NWOBM is over, right? It is like the folk who lament the passing of the 80s or 90s - while I accept the undoubted influence, still we need to move on, would you not agree? For me, always and ever, Lemmy will never be beat!! Why can we not have more of THIS... This is the kind of NWOBM legacy (as I see it) that I am happy to pursue :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

You'll never guess where Lemmy came from? A certain ex-boy band member might be Stoke's most famous musical export but Lemmy is one most of us rock lovers more happily claim as our own.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:D

You'll never guess where Lemmy came from? A certain ex-boy band member might be Stoke's most famous musical export but Lemmy is one most of us rock lovers more happily claim as our own.
Is it an urban myth that Robbie Williams was Lemmy's illegitimate son? :D Not in this thread it ain't... Now Suke... back to the topic at hand :)
J

Latest Discussions