having time to train

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's supposed to be a bit ;)

Like someone getting upset for losing a comp - they still beat the people who didn't turn up...

Training what you can when you can is all anyone can ever do - there's not many people who can devote all day every day to it (and even those fit in that statement anyway).

yeah i think the only people that devote all day every day to martial arts are professional fighters. i'm in no shape for that even if i had the time :D

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah i think the only people that devote all day every day to martial arts are professional fighters. i'm in no shape for that even if i had the time :D
Or people who run a full-time MA school. Even then they’re usually spending more time teaching than training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or people who run a full-time MA school. Even then they’re usually spending more time teaching than training.

Teaching isn't training. And if you're teaching full time, I suspect you're probably training less than a lot of your students.
I know that I personally tend not to train on the days I teach. And this seems to hold true for others I've spoken to on the subject.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ever since I quit using 8 years ago i've had a gut. I've been taking martial arts for around 3.5 years, and I still have a gut. I blame that partially on martial arts munchies. even when i trained Muay Thai and BJJ on the same day i didn't lose weight. idk i'm on a no carbs diet now seemed to help at first.... i just can't get rid of this damn gut!
Gut fat is the hardest for most people to lose.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teaching isn't training. And if you're teaching full time, I suspect you're probably training less than a lot of your students.
I know that I personally tend not to train on the days I teach. And this seems to hold true for others I've spoken to on the subject.
Agreed. One semantic point, the post he replied to said "devote all day every day to martial arts", which doesn't have to be training.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score

what's crazy is that one of the instructors at my Krav gym, all the classes she teaches, including the cardio classes, she does the exercises with the students as she is teaching them! she's in seriously good shape

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
what's crazy is that one of the instructors at my Krav gym, all the classes she teaches, including the cardio classes, she does the exercises with the students as she is teaching them! she's in seriously good shape
I and all of our instructors do all the warm ups, physical fitness, and stretching with every class we teach.