Has MA made you paranoid??

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Like the line from that new movie "Taken" goes: "Mom says your job made you paranoid" "My job made me AWARE".

Sukerkin still has a line in his sig quote from a conversation he and i had discussing this same thing. He must have liked it :)

It isn't that you or I are paranoid, it's that you and I have learned to be appropriately aware where in general society this perfectly functional human trait has fallen into disuse through too much peace/too much sheep mentality, is all.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I have always been paranoid, we all are to some degree... What my time in MA has done is make me better prepared for those of you that ARE out to get me.

Alright big don, tell it like it is. A lot of paranoia is so bad, because it will cause you to over react. But, a little, along with some good SD training, is just the ticket for survival. People who say they aren’t, may be very paranoid and just don’t know it yet. :rofl:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Have you beocme more paranoid since taking MA? Seems like once you start taking a MA you train hard just to make sure you are prepared for whatever may happen. Have you ever noticed that it has made you a little too paranoid?? Always thinking someone is out to get you?

I ask b/c a friend of mine who did MA's for years said that he doesn't train much anymore. He says lightly he may practice something but not like he use too. He said simply " I am not longer worrying about being attacked every day. No need conditioning my hands everyday, risking arthritis and other things b/c always looking for someone to attack me. As great as MA's are, it can make the best man paranoid."

No MA has not made me paranoid

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a very good point and if it is MA's that have created some form of paranoia in me, then it must be a powerful substance

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really did not get into MA for self defense, but there definately was a period my increased awareness made me stressed. Think it was like 2-4 years into my training. After I had adjusted to this the next thing was getting used to increased sensitivity to touch and more accute feel of my joints and inner ogans.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nope, just more aware. I look at the world and the people in it in a different way and find that I "see" potential problems a lot sooner than I did before.

Yours in Budo
Michael

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you beocme more paranoid since taking MA? Seems like once you start taking a MA you train hard just to make sure you are prepared for whatever may happen. Have you ever noticed that it has made you a little too paranoid?? Always thinking someone is out to get you?

I ask b/c a friend of mine who did MA's for years said that he doesn't train much anymore. He says lightly he may practice something but not like he use too. He said simply " I am not longer worrying about being attacked every day. No need conditioning my hands everyday, risking arthritis and other things b/c always looking for someone to attack me. As great as MA's are, it can make the best man paranoid."
Im only paranoid in the sense of what will happen to me if i use what I have been taught.

other than that...No

B

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It has not made me paranoid but it has made me much more aware.

edit - I see I repeated a similar post.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Putting on the badge made me paranoid..MA training helped to cure me..

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
More aware...yes...also a littel more relaxed. I think less "what will i do?' because for a change, I know what I will do/am capable of. Now I can relax a little and enjoy life more. :)

Peace,
Erik

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
No martial arts has not made me paranoid. I just do whatever the voices I hear tell me to do.

Martial arts has made me a bit more violent though I think. I have no sympathy towards ignorance. I tend to go into rages on people more than I used to. I almost have this I dare you to fight me attitude.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Martial arts has made me "aware" not paranoid. I believe awareness is being open to the possibility of danger, and paranoia is expecting it. I'd be a lot more paranoid if I wasn't confident in my skill...yet I still have weaknesses...off to the dojo!

Latest Discussions