Has anyone here heard of Combat Hapkido?

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was reading up on it and it seemed pretty cool, but I have never seen it in action. Does anyone know how this art compares to the others as far as self defense?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was reading up on it and it seemed pretty cool, but I have never seen it in action. Does anyone know how this art compares to the others as far as self defense?

It's totally SD oriented, DoubleZ. You want to get info from our members Drac and Father Greek—they do it and teach it. I've seen it in action and I find it very impressive—I'm a TKD guy, with heavy emphasis on close quarters combat application of TKD rather than sparring competition, and from my point of view, CHKD definitely has its head screwed on the right way...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just read about it in Blackbelt.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's totally SD oriented, DoubleZ. You want to get info from our members Drac and Father Greek—they do it and teach it. I've seen it in action and I find it very impressive—I'm a TKD guy, with heavy emphasis on close quarters combat application of TKD rather than sparring competition, and from my point of view, CHKD definitely has its head screwed on the right way...
like what exile said. PM Drac and he will give you all the info you need. If seen it in action on youtube and it is very impressive. I hope to find a school here in Louisville that teaches it once i get my BB in SKK.

B

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There use to be a school near me and I went to watch a class once and I was rather impressed, and I am not easily impressed. Like everyone has said, talk to Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everybody....I suggest using the search option at the top of the page and type in Combat Hapkido..There have been alot of theads on the topic...If you have a specific question shoot me a PM....

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Combat Hopkido is totally cool..
It is 100% self defense. No forms or TKD type sparing. There are a lot of joint locks tosses throws.. The kicks are used mostly as a distraction and directed mainly from waist down.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Pellegrini's a great instructor (Instructor of the year I think) but the Combat Hapkido school that's closest to me in Queens is way unfocused, they teach like 5 styles there in this tiny little dojang. I hate why they try to do too much, always gives me the feeling nothing's top notch.

As a style it's pretty f-ing brutal though. Pellegrini even did a tour of the mid east instructing our troops in the war zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it is real direct. I took it for a while till our head instructor decided to drop the program. One of our favorite sayings was "become one with the mat", cause your going to spend a lot of time there.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check www.dsihq.com for upcoming seminars in your area...One seminar was all it took for me to become totally interested...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Pellegrini's a great instructor (Instructor of the year I think) but the Combat Hapkido school that's closest to me in Queens is way unfocused, they teach like 5 styles there in this tiny little dojang. I hate why they try to do too much, always gives me the feeling nothing's top notch.

That is sad..1 or 2 styles I can see, but 5..Trying to please too many people..

As a style it's pretty f-ing brutal though. Pellegrini even did a tour of the mid east instructing our troops in the war zone.

I teach the police version and its just as brutal...Yes, GMP went to Iraq and was teaching the USMC's there...That says something..The Marines dont play around so their stuff has gotta be very effective..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I teach the police version and its just as brutal...Yes, GMP went to Iraq and was teaching the USMC's there...That says something..The Marines dont play around so their stuff has gotta be very effective..

I read the recent BB magazine article about GMP and what he was teaching the military. Great stuff!!

I saw these clips on the link that you posted. Thought I'd post them here as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is sad..1 or 2 styles I can see, but 5..Trying to please too many people..

Here's the web site for the school man. I went in to check out their Judo program and made it 10 feet inside the door before I left. How can you teach, TKD, Judo, Combat Hapkido, Capoiera, MMA and oh, Modern Dance in the same space?!

Oh, turn down your comp speakers, they got music playing on the site. http://www.eteamz.com/UniversalMartialArts/index.cfm?

Father Greek

Green Belt
Reaction score
The thing to remember about CH is that it is an escalating art. Each technique can be done with minimum or maximum force depenmding on the situation. If somebody you know is drunk and gets obnoxious with you, it is not necessary to break their arm or wirst or neck. It is a very flexible form of self defense. If you have futher questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected] Good luck with whatever you decide.:yinyang:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a sad commentary that any art should feel the need to preface the name with the term "Combat", to indicate they are serious about their realistic useage. Seems to me that that ought to be a given. Of course we all know that's often not true.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it's a sad commentary on the art, I think it shows it's a apart of hapkido but different.

I don't think it's a sad commentary on Hapkido specifically. Rather, I think it's a sad commentary on the martial arts in general.

But in this particular instance, should not ALL hapkido be "combat" hapkido by default? What are the other schools doing? Tickle-me-Elmo Hapkido?

My point is just that ALL martial arts ought to have a solid useage focus, and it's sad that some feel the need to make the distinction because many do not have a strong useage focus. But that's just me getting up on my soapbox again.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the web site for the school man. I went in to check out their Judo program and made it 10 feet inside the door before I left. How can you teach, TKD, Judo, Combat Hapkido, Capoiera, MMA and oh, Modern Dance in the same space?!

Oh, turn down your comp speakers, they got music playing on the site. http://www.eteamz.com/UniversalMartialArts/index.cfm?
One at a time. Ideally with several different instructors. Forgive the slight off topic meander here -- but the mere presence of several styles in a single location doesn't automatically mean there's a problem. Think community centers, YMCAs, etc... or the Budokan in Japan.

On topic -- what I've seen of Combat Hapkido is decent. A lot depends on the instructor and the program. My wife took what was described as a "self defense class" through the college PE program; it was simply a semester of Combat Hapkido. Like I said; seemed decent and reasonable. My only problem was the course description; if it had been called "martial arts" or "Combat Hapkido", I wouldn't have had any complaints.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a sad commentary that any art should feel the need to preface the name with the term "Combat", to indicate they are serious about their realistic useage. Seems to me that that ought to be a given. Of course we all know that's often not true.

I think it probably made good business and marketing sense, especially when trying to attract the uninitiated as well as experienced martial artists. It may also help them distinguish it from MMA, Sport Karate, and Olympic Taekwondo in the minds of those they want to bring in to the martial arts.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think it's a sad commentary on Hapkido specifically. Rather, I think it's a sad commentary on the martial arts in general.

But in this particular instance, should not ALL hapkido be "combat" hapkido by default? What are the other schools doing? Tickle-me-Elmo Hapkido?

My point is just that ALL martial arts ought to have a solid useage focus, and it's sad that some feel the need to make the distinction because many do not have a strong useage focus. But that's just me getting up on my soapbox again.

My reading of it is, the KMAs are really in the doghouse so far as reputation for fighting utility is concerned. What Gm. Pelligrini wanted to reach was the minority (but an increasingly substantial minority, it's looking like) of people who have combat relevance in mind as they consider enrolling in a KMA school. The MAs in general are in a sorry state in this respect, but the KMAs in particular have problem with credibility.

It's so strange—a lot of my friends when I was at university did MAs, karate in particular. And not one of them was interested in anything but self-defense. Of course, it was New York City in the 1960s... for us, street violence was a daily reality that could find us at any time. So it does make a certain kind of sense....

Latest Discussions