Harry Brown

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've just watched "Harry Brown", a fabulous film starring Sir Michael Caine that is very much of the ilk of Eastwoods "Gran Turino".

If you get the chance, give it an airing. It is very good indeed (unlike the dreadful "Legion" that we watched prior to it).

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw it sometime last year, imagine my surprise when I saw it was just getting wide reelase a few months ago. Film relases are screwy nowadays, like The Horseman, The Last Legion and taken, all moves I saw on DVD before they hit theaters. Oddly enough, all action movies, I don't like how they treat action movies now.

As for Harry Brown itself, talk about your brutal movies! I see where you are coming from with Gran Turino, there are also shades of Death Wish, Dirty Harry, Get Carter, Death Sentence, and an bunch of others. Let me tell you, as brutal and violent as that movie is, the part that affected me the most was in that drug dealer's place with the chick on the couch, you know what I mean.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I ever know what you mean, mate :nods fiercely:.

Indeed, as we were watching it, my missus turned to me at that scene (when Caine speaks the line "You should have called the girl an ambulance" before putting paid to the last bad guy) and paid me a great compliment by saying "That's what you'd've done".

Whether I would or not is a matter of debate (darned twitchy moral repugnance of killing :eek:) but she was right in that it is indeed what I would feel like doing (tho' I'm not so sure I'd've felt like being so merciful to that last worthless waste of DNA if I am honest).

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, there are a few moments in that movie that do make you angry for real. I don't know much about public housing over there, damn shame, solid architecture ruined by filth hanging all over it.