Got Some Excellent Old Films

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
On monday I was luck enough to get a hold of some old movies that I have been looking for for quite some time.

The Way Ahead (1944) starring David Niven
Appointment With Venus (1951) starring David Niven and Glynis Johns
Northwest Frontier (1959) starring Kenneth Moore and Lauren Bacall

They probably don't mean much to most of you. They are products of the amazingly successful period of the British film industry from about 1935 to maybe 1960.

The Way Ahead is set during WWII is the African desert. It was something of a propaganda film to keep British spirits up before D-Day. It was released in the US as The Immortal Battalion.

Appointment With Venus is also set during WWII and involves the rescuing of a very important cow from the German occupied Channel Islands. Released in the US as Island Rescue.

Northwest Frontier is set in 1901 in India (now Pakistan), against the backdrop of tensions between Hindu and Muslim. Released in the US as Flame Over India.

There is something about these old films I find very interesting and entertaining. They give some insight into the way people were thinking in those former decades and how they perceived the world. Those set during WWII are particularly interesting to me and I have seen many of them. They are generally about tenacity with settings like The Blitz, the Battle of Britain, and the British strategic bombing campaign, or Crete, Malta, and North Africa.

JUst felt like sharing that with you because they really are great films worth a watch. British detective dramas from the '50s are pretty good too.