Hard decision made

K

Kempogeek

Guest
After thinking about this over and over, I made the hard decision of not returning to Karate. At least not right now. I've been out of it since April because of my new job working 3rd shift. I had the intention of returning later in the year after taking care of some financial matters. Now even though Im almost done with the financial matters, I don't think that I'll be able to go to class as often as I would like. Another reason and possibly the main thing is that I don't feel that Im cut out to be in Karate. I enjoyed my time training and the school I went to. But I feel that Im my own best judge in what I can and can't do. It's better that I don't waste my sensei's time trying to teach me something that I'll probably never be able to get the feel of, even with practice. I've enjoyed reading the forums and replies. Some of them have been very spirited and fun to read. I'll still support MT but now on the sidelines than on the mat. Good luck in all of your training and congrats to all the members who were promoted in their respected art. Continued success.......Steve
 

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
462
Reaction score
9
You ought to check out the IKCA... Better to have something than nothing, right? Train in the privacy of your own home.

Well, good luck to you.
 

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
27,172
Reaction score
461
Location
Not BC, Not DC
Steve, I hope you consider other styles and other teachers before you remove martial arts completely from your life. I encourage you to peek in other places and consider slower-paced private training as well.

Best to you no matter what - and please still contribute to the convo here.

:asian:
 

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
1,831
Reaction score
17
Location
California
I'm sorry to hear that you have hit on stressful times in life and in your training. Perhaps after things have settled a bit you can either return, or find a different school/style to explore. If one certain style doesn's suit you try another, there's no law that says you can't. Also hold on to what you have learned. Just because I don't attend regular classes doesn't mean that I don't get out and hit the bag or do forms every now and then (sadly not as often as I should :whip: ). Don't think because you don't have the time or inclination to continue at the moment you can't ever go back, because you can.

Best of luck.

-Josh
 

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
942
Reaction score
13
Location
Northwest Indiana
Good luck to you,Steve.

If you ever get the urge to check out Hapkido,feel free to stop by anytime. :)
 
OP
K

Kempogeek

Guest
Thank you everyone. I've had no intentions of quitting. Heck I've said "I quit" one too many times in my life already. I sure don't want to miss the fun of doing martial arts. I think being away from regular training for so long and not being able to do at home training on a daily basis can contribute to losing some self confidence. Im not going through any stress. I like my job and Im almost done paying off my car. (Finally) And Xmas is coming. :cool: I guess I want to have something else in life besides work. And Im sure I'll return in the future. Just waiting for the right time. When that day does come, you'll be the first to know. In the meantime, I'll find some time to practice on my own and put my 2 cents on here as well. Continued success everyone........Steve
 

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
4,265
Reaction score
31
Location
LI
Kempogeek said:
Thank you everyone. I've had no intentions of quitting. Heck I've said "I quit" one too many times in my life already. I sure don't want to miss the fun of doing martial arts. I think being away from regular training for so long and not being able to do at home training on a daily basis can contribute to losing some self confidence. Im not going through any stress. I like my job and Im almost done paying off my car. (Finally) And Xmas is coming. :cool: I guess I want to have something else in life besides work. And Im sure I'll return in the future. Just waiting for the right time. When that day does come, you'll be the first to know. In the meantime, I'll find some time to practice on my own and put my 2 cents on here as well. Continued success everyone........Steve
Steve,

When you are ready to return to martial studies consider checking out a bunch of different schools. You may just need a better fit! Find an art that you love doing, and a teacher you feel you can learn from and then you may find you never want a break again!

Good luck!

MJ :)
 

Marginal

Senior Master
Joined
Jul 7, 2002
Messages
3,276
Reaction score
66
Location
Colorado
Kempogeek said:
I enjoyed my time training and the school I went to. But I feel that Im my own best judge in what I can and can't do. It's better that I don't waste my sensei's time trying to teach me something that I'll probably never be able to get the feel of, even with practice.
One of the problems with physical training is you don't really perceive any improvement even when you are honestly improving. Others might see it, but it's way harder for you to objectively gauge your progress. At least that's been my experience, and I've seen it hit hard among the lower belt ranks.

Good luck with whatever you do, but bear that in mind if you start training anywhere else. Sometimes you just have to switch that internal critic off.
 

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Joined
Oct 25, 2002
Messages
2,496
Reaction score
6
Location
Austin, TX, USA
shesulsa said:
Steve, I hope you consider other styles and other teachers before you remove martial arts completely from your life. I encourage you to peek in other places and consider slower-paced private training as well.

Best to you no matter what - and please still contribute to the convo here.

:asian:
Ditto! Take care of yourself Steve & I hope you will continue to contribute to MT. :)
 
Top