Happy Birthday Prince Philip

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
its in relatively recent memory that the '' queen''fire the prime minster of Australia, caused quite a row at the time, she as you possibly know the queen of lots of places not just the UK
Alright well as an example, lets say the Queen wanted to make it a felony to wear New England Patriots paraphernalia in public in the UK, would she be able to do that?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright well as an example, lets say the Queen wanted to make it a felony to wear New England Patriots paraphernalia in public in the UK, would she be able to do that?
no, though she would be able to stop the govenment doing it, though she could concievably declare war on new england

all laws have to be passed by parliment AND signed by the queen.

some issues like decaring war are subject to the royal perogative, this is normal exercised bt the prime minister on her behalf, though i cant see that should coudnt do it her self if she had a real down on the patriots

durring the recent britex debacle, we had numerous court cases concerning the age old question of who was in charge, parliament, elected by the people or the govenment appointed by the queen and exercising the royal perogative, it seemed to be a draw

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
no, though she would be able to stop the govenment doing it, though she could concievably declare war on new england

all laws have to be passed by parliment AND signed by the queen.

some issues like decaring war are subject to the royal perogative, this is normal exercised bt the prime minister on her behalf, though i cant see that should coudnt do it her self if she had a real down on the patriots

durring the recent britex debacle, we had numerous court cases concerning the age old question of who was in charge, parliament, elected by the people or the govenment appointed by the queen and exercising the royal perogative, it seemed to be a draw
Just so you know, the New England Patriots are a Football team based in Boston, I couldn't see her declaring war on them. I only used that as an example because I don't like the New England Patriots, Im a Philadelphia Eagles fan, so I was only using the idea of the Queen making the wearing of New England Patriots paraphernalia in public as an example of whether or not the Queen could pass any law she wants at her own whim.

Anyway I was wondering if the Queen could make Parliament pass certain laws, if she were to say that if they don't pass a certain law she would fire them, how would that go down?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just so you know, the New England Patriots are a Football team based in Boston, I couldn't see her declaring war on them. I only used that as an example because I don't like the New England Patriots, Im a Philadelphia Eagles fan, so I was only using the idea of the Queen making the wearing of New England Patriots paraphernalia in public as an example of whether or not the Queen could pass any law she wants at her own whim.

Anyway I was wondering if the Queen could make Parliament pass certain laws, if she were to say that if they don't pass a certain law she would fire them, how would that go down?
no, she can fire the govenment, as the govenment belongs to her,

she cant fire parliment, we had a civil war about that very issue and the king lost

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

she cant fire parliment, we had a civil war about that very issue and the king lost

we recently had a ciyrt case about her majestys govenment try to shut down parliment to prevent it from stoping the govenment from doibg exactly what it wanted to do

the govenment lost that as well

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

What's the difference between the parliament and the government? I thought the parliament was part of the government.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's the difference between the parliament and the government? I thought the parliament was part of the government.
Good god no,,,

Parliment is elected by the people, like say the house of reprentatives, the queen is like our president, only we cant get rid of her till she dies.

The queen, ( our president) appoints the prime minister( who is generally the leader of the largest party, but not always so), from the parliment and he or she appoints the rest of the govenment.

There is then a secind chamber, like the Senate, only theres about 600 of them, we cant get rid of those either till they die

Some times this works fine, some times like last year the whole thing descends in to open war fare

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Parliament is part of the government, but, like in the USA, it's not the whole thing. We have a president, and they have a queen. We have congress, and they have parliament.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Parliament is part of the government, but, like in the USA, it's not the whole thing. We have a president, and they have a queen. We have congress, and they have parliament.
no it isnt, the govenment is part of parliment but definelty not the other way round

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Prime Minister, rather than the Queen.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The queen isn't part of the government? Or are you saying the queen is part of parliament?

In the real world of today, the Queen has just about enough power to blow her nose, so long as she does it in private. She's not exactly a vital part of the government in anything other than a symbolic way.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The queen isn't part of the government? Or are you saying the queen is part of parliament?
no im saying that parliment isnt part of the goven ment

the queen however is part of parliment, and the govenment and the queen are much the same thing, they

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the real world of today, the Queen has just about enough power to blow her nose, so long as she does it in private. She's not exactly a vital part of the government in anything other than a symbolic way.
the queen has significant power, at the moment she is succesfully sheilding her son from prosicution.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
the queen has significant power, at the moment she is succesfully sheilding her son from prosicution.

She has significant influence, not power. And that influence is essentially derived from cultural inertia. It's left over from the days when the Crown actually did exercise power.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
She has significant influence, not power. And that influence is essentially derived from cultural inertia. It's left over from the days when the Crown actually did exercise power.
influence is power,

but no she has a significant amount of constitional power, if she choose to use it, if she does she has so much power we wouldnt find out about it

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
no im saying that parliment isnt part of the goven ment

the queen however is part of parliment, and the govenment and the queen are much the same thing, they
Parliament ISN'T part of the government... but the queen is part of Parliament... and the queen is synonymous with government? I think I said this in another thread, so to reiterate, you should take some logic classes either online or at the local college. I really think you'd have a blast (seriously, I think it's right up your alley), and you'd also learn why your sentences above are not mathematically cogent.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
influence is power
I always thought knowledge is power.

As your body grows bigger
Your mind must flower
It's great to learn
'Cause knowledge is power

It's Schoolhouse Rocky, the chip off the block
Of your favorite schoolhouse, Schoolhouse Rock!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I say we appoint a Queen here in the states.

Any suggestions as to who?

Latest Discussions