Is a Shark Bite Striking or Grappling?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a thread on another site I thought would be fun to discuss here. A game of sorts. Trying to categorize animal fighting techniques as either striking or grappling. For example, obvious striking techniques:
  • Goat's headbutt
  • Horse's kick
  • Cats batting
Obvious grappling techniques:
  • Scorpion holding prey in its pincers
  • Boa constrictor
  • Lion suffocating its prey with a neck bite
  • Crocodile's death roll
However, there are some animals that were less obvious. The one that sparked the most debate? Sharks. Now, you'll notice that 3 of the 4 grappling techniques I mention above involve bites - even the boa, their constriction starts with a bite, which they use as an anchor to wind around the prey. But shark bites are quick, and they just pull a chunk out. I posit that there's not enough time that they have a grip on you to consider it a grappling technique, and it's instead a strike.

What do you think? Agree or disagree?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe we need a new category: it’s a bite. It isn’t a grapple. It rips out a hunk of you and leaves you floating.

There is an element of striking, as the shark typically comes in fast and hard and delivers that bite with full-body impact at high speed (based on footage I’ve seen of great whites in the Farallon Islands off the coast of San Francisco, and what I’ve read about tigers and oceanic White tips).

So I put it at a strike, but with a new classification: a ripping bite.

But maybe some other sharks don’t deliver the bite with that high speed impact. I’ve seen other footage other other types of sharks not using the high speed impact.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a thread on another site I thought would be fun to discuss here. A game of sorts. Trying to categorize animal fighting techniques as either striking or grappling. For example, obvious striking techniques:
  • Goat's headbutt
  • Horse's kick
  • Cats batting
  • Boa constrictor
  • Crocodile's death roll
However, there are some animals that were less obvious. The one that sparked the most debate? Sharks. Now, you'll notice that 3 of the 4 grappling techniques I mention above involve bites - even the boa, their constriction starts with a bite, which they use as an anchor to wind around the prey. But shark bites are quick, and they just pull a chunk out. I posit that there's not enough time that they have a grip on you to consider it a grappling technique, and it's instead a strike.

i think your bored ?

if yu want to use animals as a learning point, its better to consider the survival strategies they employ. animal who only have teeth as a weapon are only going to bite you, animals that have teeth and claws will use both, animal that weigh a ton have a bad habit of standing on you

as to the question, if i bite you, is it a strike or a wrestling technique, id say neither its a brawling technique which differs from a shark in that its dinner, im not aware that sharks bite for any other reason

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Goat's headbutt ...
The original of wrestling. This is why the wrestling art is much older than the striking art.

Chinese wrestling: Shuai (wrestle) Chiao (horn) - wrestling with horn.

deer-twist-horn.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they don't hold on-I would say that it's more similar to a strike. But a weapon strike. Since it's dealing damage in a way that fists or legs do not.

I would repate it to D&D's damage classification and determine what type of damage it would be, or if it would be a hold with damage/how to break free, which would tell you the type of strike it is.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe we need a new category: it’s a bite. It isn’t a grapple. It rips out a hunk of you and leaves you floating.

There is an element of striking, as the shark typically comes in fast and hard and delivers that bite with full-body impact at high speed (based on footage I’ve seen of great whites in the Farallon Islands off the coast of San Francisco, and what I’ve read about tigers and oceanic White tips).

So I put it at a strike, but with a new classification: a ripping bite.

But maybe some other sharks don’t deliver the bite with that high speed impact. I’ve seen other footage other other types of sharks not using the high speed impact.
they come in fast and hard as they are ambush predictors and you cant ambush something slow and gentle, im not sure that makes the bit worse though, you loose a leg no matter what speed the shark is swimming at, ?

ive just check and sharks seldom if ever fight each other (or anything else for that matter )only kill for food,

so as they are by nature non combatants they shouldnt be in section on animal combat

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, to me a shark would fall into the category of edged weapons.

Big sharks.....hungry, scary bastards.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ has proven ineffective against sharks because they don't have legs (so it's hard to take them down) and they don't have necks or arms to choke or bar. That's why I don't study BJJ. If you can't use it in the real world against sharks, what good is it?

At this point in my life, though, the sharks know me and generally stay clear. They don't want any of this trouble.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Goat's headbutt
  • Horse's kick
  • Cats batting
  • Boa constrictor
  • Crocodile's death roll

I would consider it both a strike and a grapple.