Hapkido Unification

Nikos Botsios

White Belt
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to everyone in martial arts forum.
The Secretary General GM Bae Sung Book of the Korea Hapkido Federation recently posted this on facebook saying that the Hapkido is going to unify. Does anyone know any details? Are they going to make one Internation Federation?
hapkido.PNG

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In big step towards unification, however if Tae Kwon Do can't do it, I very much doubt that Hapkido can do it when it hasn't been unified for how long? There is going to be alot of politics and costs that are different...

OP
N

Nikos Botsios

White Belt
Reaction score
What you are saying it's true my friend I think it's going to take a long time for the unification to take place. Taekwondo has two International Federations WTF (Kukkiwon) and ITF (International Taekwon-Do Federation) but Hapkido doesn't have any International Federation. Or they do have and I'm wrong maybe?
I think the only federation that is recognised from the Korean goverment is The Korea Hapkido Federation, am I right?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you are saying it's true my friend I think it's going to take a long time for the unification to take place. Taekwondo has two International Federations WTF (Kukkiwon) and ITF (International Taekwon-Do Federation) but Hapkido doesn't have any International Federation. Or they do have and I'm wrong maybe?
I think the only federation that is recognised from the Korean goverment is The Korea Hapkido Federation, am I right?
Yes, but that is very similar to how TKD "unified". First there was the Korean TKD Association.

OP
N

Nikos Botsios

White Belt
Reaction score
So the only official federation of Hapkido right now is the Korea Hapkido Federation?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Um, no.... TKD has about a dozen or so international Federations. There are three separate ITF's, for example.
And of course, the WTF (now called WT) and the Kukkiwon are two completely different groups, with different purposes. WT is not a style of TKD, for one thing.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to everyone in martial arts forum.
The Secretary General GM Bae Sung Book of the Korea Hapkido Federation recently posted this on facebook saying that the Hapkido is going to unify. Does anyone know any details? Are they going to make one Internation Federation?
View attachment 21986
I was unable to find any media reference to Hapkido unification. Maybe someone else will have more success. In typical Korean fashion I imagine it will have a strong political spin to it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the only official federation of Hapkido right now is the Korea Hapkido Federation?

If you want to be certified by the Korea Hapkido Federation, yes.

If you want to learn Hapkido and a school teaches Hapkido and is not part of that organization, then you can get certified with whatever organization your school is part of. It just won't be with the Korea Hapkido Federation.

I don't think they would be able to demand other Hapkido schools join the Federation, especially those outside of Korea. For example, why should an American school succumb to the Korean politics?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I periodically see calls for such-and-such martial art (Kempo, hapkido, etc) to “get past politics” and “unify.” In general it never seems to mean “let’s visit each other’s schools, learn from each other, and stop worrying about who has the truest lineage”. Instead it seems to be code for “let’s start a new organization where I’m in charge and everyone has to send me membership dues.”

For some reason that never seems to result in more unity. :rolleyes:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I periodically see calls for such-and-such martial art (Kempo, hapkido, etc) to “get past politics” and “unify.” In general it never seems to mean “let’s visit each other’s schools, learn from each other, and stop worrying about who has the truest lineage”. Instead it seems to be code for “let’s start a new organization where I’m in charge and everyone has to send me membership dues.”

For some reason that never seems to result in more unity. :rolleyes:

Speaking as someone from a military town, I see a LOT of students come and go. Being a part of the KKW, it's nice that we can have our black belts go to another school and not have to start all over. So for me, it's less about visiting schools and learning form each other, and more about being able to move with your family and not have to worry about wasting all your progress.

And even if rank isn't important to you, if you go from being a black belt in John's Taekwondo in Washington and then go to Jimmy's Taekwondo in Texas, where the forms and most of the techniques are identical, it would be a little disheartening to start all over at white belt and be forced to just do the basics for the next 3 years until you can get back to learning the advanced techniques.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone from a military town, I see a LOT of students come and go. Being a part of the KKW, it's nice that we can have our black belts go to another school and not have to start all over. So for me, it's less about visiting schools and learning form each other, and more about being able to move with your family and not have to worry about wasting all your progress.

And even if rank isn't important to you, if you go from being a black belt in John's Taekwondo in Washington and then go to Jimmy's Taekwondo in Texas, where the forms and most of the techniques are identical, it would be a little disheartening to start all over at white belt and be forced to just do the basics for the next 3 years until you can get back to learning the advanced techniques.
BJJ has no centralized governing body, but if you have belt rank in BJJ you can move to a new place and 99.9 % of schools will accept your existing rank without requiring you to start over.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BJJ has no centralized governing body, but if you have belt rank in BJJ you can move to a new place and 99.9 % of schools will accept your existing rank without requiring you to start over.

Fair enough. I guess it would be more insurance in the case you can't.

Then again, if you move, you may not like the instructor in your organization at the new location, and may want to jump ship anyway.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to be certified by the Korea Hapkido Federation, yes.

If you want to learn Hapkido and a school teaches Hapkido and is not part of that organization, then you can get certified with whatever organization your school is part of. It just won't be with the Korea Hapkido Federation.

I don't think they would be able to demand other Hapkido schools join the Federation, especially those outside of Korea. For example, why should an American school succumb to the Korean politics?
For the same reasons TKD school's align themselves with WT(F) and Kukkiwon. Brand recognition and portability of credentials are just a few.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess it would be more insurance in the case you can't.

Then again, if you move, you may not like the instructor in your organization at the new location, and may want to jump ship anyway.
I am always amazed by the comments of people who clearly have a lot of options when it comes to different schools in their area. We have so few it is more of the "beggars can't be choosers" scenario. I feel that makes me appreciate the value of information provided by the internet more than people in higher populated areas. That said, it is hard even for the learned person to know if what they see/read online is legitimate. I think this is a big part of why I have always enjoyed visiting other schools during my travels.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am always amazed by the comments of people who clearly have a lot of options when it comes to different schools in their area. We have so few it is more of the "beggars can't be choosers" scenario. I feel that makes me appreciate the value of information provided by the internet more than people in higher populated areas. That said, it is hard even for the learned person to know if what they see/read online is legitimate. I think this is a big part of why I have always enjoyed visiting other schools during my travels.

Well, we have a bunch of TKD and MMA gyms in my area, one karate school. But then its hard to find anything else.

I wanted to do Bagua or Wing Chun but we didn't have those options.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No, there are a few. There's also the IHF (International HKD Federation), based out of Yongin in South Korea, and I think there are one or two more that are also officially recognized by the South Korean government. In addition, there are lots of other Hapkido organizations based out of other countries, which may or may not have some international presence.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was unable to find any media reference to Hapkido unification. Maybe someone else will have more success. In typical Korean fashion I imagine it will have a strong political spin to it.

Try hapkido unification attempts - Bing for one.. There are links to several threads on Martial Talk. Some rather colorful. And I can in no way verify anything in any of the threads, nor dispute much of it for that matter. I just was never that interested in such things.

Latest Discussions