Hand vs Foot

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In your system or style what is the percentage of punching vs. kicking?
Just looking for some new drills to run if you have any. I had a lady call an ask me about New York martial arts? I said that I didn't know what she was talking about. After a few minutes talking to her I figured out that she must have been doing ITF. She said that she had tried a few schools around and there was too much kicking and she was use to more punching.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
I still train sometimes with my TKD instructor (ITF). TKD, at least in our school, is about 80 percent kicks, 20 percent punches.
In my Kenpo school, it is the opposite. The reason I switched and now make Kenpo my primary art of study is it is more self defense oriented as opposed to TKD being more tournament/ sport oriented. In our Kenpo school, there are no tournaments, and no ribbons or trophies.
As for drills, we start with a kick,then add knees,punches and elbows or you can start with punches and then reverse the sequence.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well any good school would be a 50/50 split but then comes the variables, like the sport versus SD. So In my opinion it is what you are doing but all arts should have enough of each so the student should be round in there fighting skills.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okinawan GoJu, 70% hands 30% all low kicks. With low kicks you can be in hand range at the same time as kicking range. Best of both worlds. Generally you close fast with a grab and a hand strike or two. While still holding on to them you move to a low kick and/ or take down. Once their down, stomp.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your system or style what is the percentage of punching vs. kicking?

Depends on what you mean. According to General Choi, Taekwon-Do is composed of 2,000 hand techniques and 1,200 foot techniques.

On the other hand, training is going to vary, depending on the instructor. Taekwon-Do, in general, does tend to use kicking techniques more than hand techniques because the style's central doctrine could be understood as something along the lines of "Keep the opponent at a distance and use a more powerful weapon against them."

Just looking for some new drills to run if you have any. I had a lady call an ask me about New York martial arts? I said that I didn't know what she was talking about. After a few minutes talking to her I figured out that she must have been doing ITF. She said that she had tried a few schools around and there was too much kicking and she was use to more punching.

I'm not clear on what you (or she) mean by "New York martial arts." Why do you take her to mean she meant ITF? Was it the patterns she practiced? The ITF tuls have more hand techniques than kicking techniques, much like the number of hand techniques in the style outnumbers the number of kicking techniques. But there's more to training than working on tuls. Besides, a lot of the techniques in Taekwon-Do don't appear in any of the patterns.

Pax,

Chris

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean. According to General Choi, Taekwon-Do is composed of 2,000 hand techniques and 1,200 foot techniques.

On the other hand, training is going to vary, depending on the instructor. Taekwon-Do, in general, does tend to use kicking techniques more than hand techniques because the style's central doctrine could be understood as something along the lines of "Keep the opponent at a distance and use a more powerful weapon against them."

I'm not clear on what you (or she) mean by "New York martial arts." Why do you take her to mean she meant ITF? Was it the patterns she practiced? The ITF tuls have more hand techniques than kicking techniques, much like the number of hand techniques in the style outnumbers the number of kicking techniques. But there's more to training than working on tuls. Besides, a lot of the techniques in Taekwon-Do don't appear in any of the patterns.

Pax,

Chris

After talking with her she found some of her paperwork, she didn't even know what style she was learning. She did tell me the name of one of her forms. I knew it wasn't Kukkiwon, so I have The ITF book and it was in it. I have often heard that ITF had more punching in it the WTF ( not that that is good or bad). I run across this alot with people who come from other scholls. They think TKD is all one system. Not Taekwondo (sport) Taekwon-do ( ITF) and Tae Kwon Do (traditional) then you have ATA and all the rest. I feel bad when they were never told by thier instructor that there is a big difference. I told her that I know for a fact that there isn't an ITF school within a 100 miles. So the best I could do was send her to the shotokan school down the road.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While a particular style of any art may say they are 20/80 or 80/20 or 50/50 or whatever I strongly suggest that be taken with a grain of salt.

Why?

Different people's physical attibutes. Tall, long legged indiviuals might find kicking to their advantage and those with long strong arms and short legs might find hand techniques are more advantagious.

I hate forcing students to push on techniques that have no chance of being effecitve for them no matter how hard and long they practice.

And then there are people who have physical handicaps that keep them from using some techniques or such. Like if they have a spine problen can can't kick high (or even middle.) Or those with finger and arm problems that make it difficult for them to use their hands well.

I consider TKD as my base, but I've grown and learned to maximize my particular physical abiltiies and not try to do a certian percentage of kicks .vs. punches. And I tell all the students that as they grow they will learn to branch out and think for themselves.

Deaf

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD= 65% kicking/35% punching
Chito-ryu= 60% punching/ 40% kicking
Isshinryu= 70% punching/ 30% kicking groin and lower
EPAK= 80% punching/ 20% kicking
Kobudo= 0% punching and kicking
Boxing=100% punching

With most styles, IMO, the percentage truly varies by the individual as much as the style or instructor.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, in TKD there are a lot of hand technikes, however TKD has evolved in some sort of kicking technikes only, why? I don't know, maybe cause olimpics TKD does not allow hand contact to the head/face area and because a kick scores twice than punch and in some cases even the hand does not score at all, that's why TKD do so much emphasys on kicks, so the competitors rather prefer score with a kick to the midsection that gives him/her 2 points or even a kick to the head that sores him/her 3 points than a misery 1 point for a hand technike.

In my dojan we have a lot of strikes in our poomse and hand technikes however in kyorugi (sparring) we don't use the hands and all our training is focus on olimpic sparring, so no hands my friend.

A long as I see in my dojang the kids use one punch for every 7 or 8 kicks and they only use the hands in close quarters and they prefer to fight at leg range.

Myself try to do one punch for every 3 kicks if possible.

Manny

Latest Discussions