Haganah? What about it?

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I am interested in a class that is being taught. I think it is spelled Haganah. I like contact drills with grappling, and I need a lot of practice with stand up striking and self defense. This stuff seems to be serious. They give a pretty hard work out and then do drills. Can anyone explain to me exactly what this stuff is? I undersand it is israeli and similar to Krav. Maybe someone can point me in a direction more suited to understand the stuff?

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haganah literally means "defense". "Haganah Atzmit" means self defense, but I'm not sure in what context you're speaking about.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Tez on this one. I saw a video set one time about "Haganah" (F.I.G.H.T.) it was really bad. The kind where the instructor is demonstrating how to throw the technique in slow motion and the technique still looks off compared to what it should look like.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looked it up on youtube, first video i saw
looks odd to me, a bit risky, and not how I would handle that situation, but that could just be stylistic differences though. Not a fan of the last part, where he cuts the guys arm before leaving, especialy if its SD oriented
Also, not sure if him getting into that starting position was in a different video, but doubt it since its part 1, and that's pretty important. I'll chalk that up to the person uploading the video though, and not the style itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally would consider Arnis before any of this garbage. Granted those techniques may work but I'm not so sure the make him pay thing is sending the right message. I've always been taught respect. And even if you're going to disengage an attacker. You may have to put them to the ground, and even in a little pain via a choke, or pressure point, etc.

Last resort is breaking a bone or tazer if you can't get out of the fight right away. I understand on the street is a different environment but those whole make him pay at the end seems to me like an attacker would likely come looking for more instead of just ending the threat completely to live and train another day. Technique is everything, and I'm not convinced.